Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Me and TV

House sitting, while still lovely, is no longer the absolute delight it once was now that I love my actual home. I mean that strictly food wise and the fact that I spend most of my lunch hour in the car. And lack of internet and cell reception, although that's kind of bitter sweet. Dog wise and cable wise-- AWESOME.

Corina and I are officially building a shrine to these dogs with materials left over from the move. Nothing more needs to be said on that matter.

Cable:

FINALLY watched True Blood. And now I'm about to shoot myself in the face as I wait to see (I'd BETTER SEE!!) some much anticipated banging. Very important. BAAAAAAAAHHH!! I hate waiting!

Watched, for perhaps my first time, Curb Your Enthusiasm during it's actual airing time. It was HILARIOUS and I remembered again the delight I will EVENTUALLY experience when I'm in the mood to watch 9 seasons of a show.
Then the next day, I heard through the walls our office neighbor playing the very episode.
And THEN I read:

The eighth-season ratings resurgence of Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm continues. The hilariously outrageous Palestinian Chicken episode on Sunday drew 2.4 million viewers for the premiere 10 PM airing to become the HBO series' most-watched episode in seven years.

What I'm saying is that I feel confident that Larry David made a deal with the devil for the episode. Must have.

ANYWAY ANYWAY

I remembered the miracle of Shawshank Redemption, and it is on my amazon.com list (if I ever buy movies again). That movie is a masterpiece. It really is. Also balled during the end of Toy Story 3 and Bright Star. Watched 10 minutes of Dinner for Shmucks and determined that my alternative choice, Jennifer's Body, was the better deal, which is REALLY saying something. Although I LOVE the Adam Brody killing scene in Jennifer's Body. It's HILARIOUS. Remembered that Get Him to the Greek IS quite funny, although I have a brain block with it for some reason. I can't ever remember details of that movie and this was my 3rd full viewing.

I also watched Inception, which I loved. Nothing to say about it, except that I got scared to walk around the house afterwards. I think it was a combination of the music that resonated in my head, I was up way later than usual, and I was in a strange house. What I'm saying is, I laid in bed for about 10 minutes trying to resist the urge to get my chapstick and lotion from the other room. But the dryness overwhelmed me and I faced my fears.

Corina and I also watched The Greatest with Carey Mulligan, Aaron Johnson, Susan Sarandon, Pierce Brosnan, and Jennifer Ehle and despite the largely British cast, everyone used an American accent, save Pierce, who apparently couldn't do it. It was okay. Parts stuck with me, but overall I wasn't thrilled. It seemed a little too scattered, ill-conceived. And Aaron was dead (not a spoiler-- happens in the first couple of minutes) and only shown in flashbacks, which was lame... and the scene was kind of scarring.

Actually, I'm just going to name the movies on my amazon list. For posterity.
-Shawshank Redemption
-Bright Star
-Breaking Upwards
-Groundhogs Day
-Cashback
-Mysterious Skin
-Mr. Show: The Complete Series
-Iron Man
-Emma
-Annie Hall (I still do not have this in my possession, for reasons beyond my control)

3 comments:

Claire said...

I actually really enjoy Jennifer's Body... despite... the obvious flaws. But the killing scene is by FAR the greatest part; it's so funny.

I almost rented The Greatest, but didn't because it looked meh. Now I kiiind of just want to see it for the scarring scene. Hmm. HOW scarring?

I STILL haven't watched any of True Blood! I'm sad, but the opportunity just never seems to present itself. Though I could prettyyyy easily make it happen.

Esha said...

speaking of the music from Inception, i just learned that the whole last 45 minutes of the soundtrack is a couple notes from the French song they play to wake up slowed down, so the whole time you're watching, you're actually hearing the music that's waking them up in one of the other dreams

craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaziness

Blythe said...

Claire: mmmmm not REALLY worth renting. I think scarring was the wrong word. The scene was jolting. It does OPEN with sex though, which is nice.

Esha: Did you learn that from cracked.com?? Because I learned that before I saw the movie and I feel like that's why I paid such hard attention to it. And then subsequently got scared from it.