Friday, January 8, 2010

Arizona Appreciation

I love being in a hotel for more than one day. I love finding your own night time places and routines.

When I stayed at a ski resort with my dad last December, he, Asiana, Indigo and I all stayed in the same room. They went to bed at 10pm and even if I was capable of happily sleeping at that hour, I was in the middle of rereading the Harry Potter series at the time. There was just no way. I ended up finding my way to the lobby where it was freezing but it had big couches and a burning fire. There I could read and watch while drunk people stumbled in at 1am. One notable group of 50ish-year-old ladies came in on both days. Upon seeing me the second day, one lady, reeking of beer, staggered over to me and in a southern accent asked "You readin' the Bible again? Say a prayer for me, will ya? Lord knows I need it."

Here at the Scottsdale, Arizona Days Inn, which is one of the loveliest hotels I've ever stayed at, I've found a beautiful patio to sit and reread some David Sedaris while sipping a pepsi. It's essentially the perfect temperature and I'm tickled by the fact that it's January. I ate one of the oranges on the tree outside. It's questionable whether it's allowed, but if it is it beats a basket of fruit by the front desk by a mile. The orange was juicy and soft and tasted a bit like a hybrid of orange and grapefruit. Although afterwards my mouth kind of started to tingle like it was falling asleep and I could have sworn my lips were slightly swelling, undetectable to anyone but me. I was worried that it might have had poisonous pesticides but decided that that would be ridiculous because the Days would probably be sued at some point. Thus I've settled on the hypothesis that my mouth was experiencing a physical enlightenment from fresh fruit.

In addition to the 70 degree weather, and the beautiful flowers that accompany it, we passed by a hummingbird that clearly had no qualms with being near people.

And look at this sunset! (My phone officially has better capturing capabilities than my camera)


Plus, while I can't honestly say that I know an authentic burrito from a non-authentic burrito (nor do I care), I did have the BEST burrito today.

Loves the Arizona in January. Although I'd hazard to guess that it's a super-bitch from... April to October.

It's incredible that I'm going to be in L.A. tomorrow. I keep having brief but meaningful panic attacks.

No comments: