Saturday, March 20, 2010

Movies and a Beach Trip

This week was my spring break, which just means that I didn't have to go to class after work... so it wasn't like... a HUUGE break feeling. But it was still pretty amazing and I watched about a jillion movies. However, now that movies are a huge HUGE part of my life, I've categorized them into movies that are good to be watching, and movies that are... not a WASTE of time (because I don't believe in wasted time), but... a little stupid to watch given the circumstances. Here are my levels from best movies to watch with my time to... least important movies to watch.

Level 1: Movies to watch for work. Definitely should be watching.
Level 2: Movies I got from netflix in DVD form. I am paying for this service, and thus want to be able to return the movies as quickly as possible.
Level 3: Movies on netflix that I watch on demand. Again, I'm paying for the service so I might as well use it as much as possible.
Level 4: Movies on tv-- either on demand or on broadcast. There is not too much reason to watch these.
Level 5: Movies on tv that I DON'T EVEN LIKE but watch anyway.
Level 6: Movies online. I just shouldn't be doing that at all.

This week I watched:
-1 movie for work (can't say what it's called though. Sorry)
-3 DVDs from netflix. (500) Days of Summer, Soapdish, and Funny People.
-3.5 netflix on demand. Another Country, And Now for Something Completely Different, Gossip and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (only 45 minutes).
-.5 movies on tv. I watched half of Erin Brockovich. That movie is SO GOOD!
-1 movie on tv that I don't even like. Must Love Dogs. I can't believe I did that.
-1 movie online. Waking Life. I just needed it right then.

The other level would be movies in theater, which would be level 1b. That's pretty important because there is a time constraint. I didn't do that this week though. That is a lot of time on below level 3 movies though. I should work on that.
(I would give a brief about the movies like I used to, but no one would read it and I don't feel like it)

Today I went to the beach with Diane and there was so much fog!/smog!
All I could think of are those shows you watch where they told everyone that DDT was fine and when helicopters would spray it on the crops and houses, all the children would dance in it because it smelled nice. Then they would get cancer. I just kept thinking of how people in LA 30 years from now will be like "yeah and we just went to the beach and laid in the smog and they said it was fine."

The other things the smog looked like:
-A dream sequence.
-People coming out of the rubble of some disaster... but being surprisingly nonchalant about it.

The point is that I was super creeped out, a feeling aided by things like this.

But we also saw what looked like a huge adult playground with adult monkey bars that big muscle-y men were using!


It was enormous! And then we saw a sign that said it was Muscle Beach... which makes sense.

Then we walked on the pier and got funnel cake, which was important. And then we watched these hip-hop dancers. That was actually pretty awkward because they only performed for like... 5 minutes and then they started harassing us to give them money for a REALLY long time. And every time someone gave them a five, they went on and on about it. I was going to give them the $3 in my pocket, but then I got too uncomfortable thinking they were going to single me out. They also made like... a BILLION jokes about white people, which was just kind of lame. I don't care about a few, but it was everything they said. We ended up leaving before the finale.

Also, we saw the ferris wheel, which bummed me out and you can see why:

I've just never seen an ad on a ferris wheel. It just seemed like a bastardization of a child's dreams.

Then we went home, and as I was the passenger I decided it was a good time to take a picture of LA traffic.

It was a good day.

Three more things:

1. I finally saw Drew Carey in the hall! I hear him all the time doing The Price Is Right, but the other day he came in the hall to check out a car that they were putting out as a prize on the show.

2. I'm getting an email address for Present Pictures! AWESOME!

3. We went to a Mexican restaurant that Diane found a while ago and we had the BEST burrito. It was from a place called Casa Blanca Cafe. Almost definitely the best one I've had so far!

1 comment:

Claire said...

Apropos of nothing, I had to show you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxWskedKAVU

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdpKwwomO_A