Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shockingly, Efron Worship

Today I got home and Forgetting Sarah Marshall was on, so I tuned in and had a pleasurable experience remembering how great that movie is. But much more importantly, after Sarah Marshall was 17 Again. I wasn't PLANNING on watching it, but... did it anyway. And I must say, I was EXCEPTIONALLY impressed with Zac Efron! YES! I'm a bit shocked too.

The thing is, when I watch a movie in which two people play the same character, I am consistently disappointed with how poorly the two actors match. For instance, in The Notebook, James Garner and Ryan Gosling are NOT playing the same character! Maybe it's just me (doubt it), but whenever I watch such movies, I imagine the other actor saying the lines that the actor on screen is saying. Go ahead and try it with The Notebook. They are different people!! Same goes for Big, 13 Going on 30, Freaky Friday. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button actually did a pretty good job... in my opinion. Not that I don't love some of these movies. I really do. The Notebook fully included! But it bothers me. THE POINT IS, Efron did an AMAZING job speaking and acting and doing the facial expressions JUST like Matthew Perry. Probably the best such performance I've ever seen. I think Efron really studied. SOOO impressed.

The other day in class, someone mentioned that he thought Efron was the next DiCaprio in that he gets a lot of shit now for being a HUGE teen idol, but he will come through and end up being a pretty great actor. I was accepting of this theory's merit, but not entirely convinced. I am several steps closer to adopting this concept permanently, now.

Other highlights: Excessive Hunter Parrish (Silas in Weeds). Margaret Cho cameo. ... That's it. I'm not saying the movie was life changing, but I did get a kick out of it.

(no segue)
Today at CBS, I was doing as I always do and singing to myself whilst making copies. Obviously not loudly, but the machines are so loud and in a completely closed room. In addition, I obviously practiced this several times to make sure I could not be heard. Unfortunately, my experiments seem to have gone awry because today the secretary walked in on me and wanted to know if I was singing, which I obviously admitted to. So for the rest of the day, she asked me to sing tunes and she asked whether or not I was going to do musical theater here. I was embarrassed as well as flattered. But more importantly, I can never sing and copy at the same time again! Lame. Quite lame.

In an entirely separate experience, one of the actors is crazy crazy attractive. He's attractive on the show, but when he looks at you and smiles... it's a knee weakening situation. Objectively. I'm not trying to be weird about my job. ANYWAY, I've talked to him a few times, but not at length, and once he introduced himself to me when I was with a tour because he thought I was a fan. Awkward. ANYWAY, it is safe to say he doesn't know who I am, which is regular and absolutely fine.

But TODAY I ended up taking the elevator with him. And there was another girl in the elevator, but he only talked to me, confirming that he knows I work with Y&R, which was awesome. While reflecting on this fact, I had two minor failures. 1. I failed at listening to what he said, which goes hand in hand with my failure to be charming and winning. 2. I failed at pressing my floor button in the elevator.

Now obviously this isn't that big of a deal. Trying to protect my image, I got off the elevator on the wrong floor pretending that this was my goal destination. But you know what? HE forgot to press his button too! But he stayed in the elevator and went right back up. I took the stairs and had to walk awkwardly behind him down the hall. And he DID turn around. And I DID look down and pretend I didn't notice-- the socially accurate response. I know that wasn't the best story, but I certainly enjoyed myself. Not to mention, it was a catalyst to some very pleasurable day dreams that I had for the rest of the afternoon.

Also, I am officially feeling mild anxiety about finding an apartment. Not because I've been trying and failing. I'm just marking the moment when I am officially thinking about it several times a day and not coincidentally getting a mild stomach ache while doing so.

Last thing, but my blood is THIN now. I entirely blame my brain for choosing to let go of it's inner warmth policy. California is such a bad influence on my experiments with brain encouragement. Lame.

2 comments:

devon said...

find dara fineman in my list of friends on facebook. ask her if she knows anyone looking for a roommate. she lives in sherman oaks, but it's affordable and close to everything, relatively.

I LOVE YOUR BLOG, WOMAN.

The Lady Me said...

The story about running into the attractive actor in the elevator and the ridiculousness that ensued reminded me so much of my awful interactions with a certain fellow in high school (I think we both know to whom I am referring) that I actually laughed out loud. Good times.