Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Clearly This Isn't Really It

Saw Michael Jackson's This Is It today.

First of all, it was really awesome. It was pretty much just footage, not really from a point of view-- mostly subtle editing, except for a few places. They hit pretty much every really famous song, and like EVERYONE says, it is a really cool insight into how involved Michael is (was... wah wah) in the process of making his music and his concerts. Maybe (/definitely) it's because I'm not a dancer, but how do they remember all of those moves??!! Even though I know it's not true, when I watch Michael performing, I always kind of feel like he just makes shit up as he goes and everyone else has to just follow him because... he's heaven. But... that's SUPER false. Also, I like when people give notes like "let it simmer" or "it needs more booty." Actually, I'll qualify that statement by saying that I like hearing people give those kinds of notes to OTHER people. If it were me receiving that order, I'd start to cry because I have no idea what "more booty" in a song sounds like.

Another thing: I always feel like Michael lived (wah wah) in a cave and wasn't really aware of the outside world. But he DOES add a lot of new technology and stuff-- he doesn't just keep going with what he already did before. That's pretty dedicated. ALSO, I feel like most people would just yell out orders-- even high school choreographers, in my experience, just freak out when things aren't exactly right. But Michael pretty calmly gives notes and doesn't really shout. If I were working for him, I feel like I wouldn't be scared of him so much as worried that I was inadequate (which I absolutely WOULD be) and worried that I was ruining his genius. Also, it really seems like everyone was so obsessed with him that no one would be like "I can't BELIEVE we have to do ______" behind his back. I bet they'd be like "wow, we're doing ____? That is GENIUS!"

Obviously I'm sad that he's dead... but seeing as I never knew him personally, I really feel like in his case, he's going to be around FOREVER a la Elvis... but even more so because there is soooooo much more footage of him. At the very beginning of the film, it says that the movie was made from like... a jillion hours of footage that was being made for Michael's personal archives. HOW MUCH MORE SHIT IS IN HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVES?!!

I bet in 3, 4, 5 years they are going to have a much more elaborate documentary of Michael with archive footage from before. And then after that, like... 15 years from now, there will be ANOTHER documentary that has a more removed spin on Michael's effect on the world. I mean, before the movie they had a preview of a new documentary of the rest of the Jackson family. PLUUUS, I bet they'll put out a JIIIIIIILLION more of his albums like they do with Biggie and Tupac. Plus, one of his kids will probably write a book... or get into some trouble or... become famous. Then THEY'LL get a documentary. We can only hope. Maybe they'll make a part 2 of that biopic that they always air on VH1 (or at least they used to before that network started to blow-- although I heard that they are bringing back Behind the Music, which is gold because that's how I know so much about TLC and Gloria Estefan). That movie only goes up until the time Michael got burned in a pyrotechnics malfunction during the filming of a Pepsi commercial... and I'm pretty sure that was in the late 80s or early 90s.

I'm just saying... he's not really dead in terms of MY media-only relationship with him.

3 comments:

Claire said...

I loved that movie! And I (to be honest) never cared about Michael Jackson before, like at all. But now I think he is (was) a freaking genius! And the moment when he didn't take the cue to start dancing and was like, "No, no, I'm simmering right now!" was one of the best moments of anything, ever.

Claire said...

I do hate having conversations on Twitter. It's just dumb. So, in response...

I DO think it's really important that we get the bill passed at all. However, this version of the bill actually takes abortion coverage AWAY from women who are paying for their OWN health care, and from the women who ALREADY have coverage for abortions in their private health care plans. I think that's a big difference from gov't dollars paying for abortion coverage. But hopefully, maybe, that will be amended, since so many people are fighting against it.

But yeah, I still agree that it's good if only for the public option... I'm just worried that the bill keeps getting more and more watered down, until it might barely do anything good, and actually do a few bad things.

Sarah Spiegel said...

Kenny Ortega said that there will be 2-3 more hours on the DVD of This Is It! Can't wait!