Thursday, October 14, 2010

ummmm Movies...

The good news is, I am now officially employed 2 days a week as an OFFICIAL manager's assistant. The bad news is, I absolutely can't even KIND OF live off of that money. But the OTHER good news is that I've been working about 5 days a week anyway, due to weird odd jobs that have been coming my way. So... we're doing okay.

Moving on...

MOVIE SECTION:

I've been pumped about Blue Valentine (Gosling, Williams) for... months and months now. I got EXTRA pumped when I learned it was going to have a wide release. AND NOW, to make me even MORE excited, I just learned of an NC-17 rating. Judge me if you will, but this thrills the crap out of me!

Also, I feel like Love and Other Drugs (Hathaway, Gyllenhaal) is the romantic comedy for which I've been waiting. Cute and great and NO SLAPSTICK! Hurrah!

Got a free screening to Easy A, which I adored! Emma Stone was really really great and I'm very pleased that she's getting a whole bunch of roles now. I think she is filling in the gap that Lohan left when she went crazy (still hoping for a comeback though...). More importantly, Stanley Tucci was BRILLIANT! Bynes was ... well I don't feel great about being mean towards her, but she was pretty poor and I blame a) the makeup job and b) the fact that she just shouldn't be a secondary character. She's the Man was hilarious and The Amanda Show was a wonderful come down when All That got crappy. But Hairspray... weakest link. Easy A... 2nd weakest link, semi-tied with Lisa Kudrow, who I also usually love but was dead in the eyes and played an evil Phoebe, which I think we can agree is not a compliment. Lastly, Penn Badgley was super cute, although despite the numerous moments with him, I still felt I could have used a little more. Probs biased because of aforementioned super-cuteness. Also, I super appreciated the heavily referenced John Hughes films because I just went through a bit of a spree in that department (Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, St. Elmo's Fire (not technically Hughes... but in a much more real way, it is).

On a related note, I've always disliked Breakfast Club the most out of the 80s movies and I think it's because while it's well done, I can't relate to that film at ALL. It just has almost NOTHING to do with high school as I ever knew it. I can relate to a distant fairytale crush when I'm 16 and I don't need to relate to Pretty in Pink because it's so damn fun (although now when I watch it, all I can think about is how much better it would have been if they used Robert Downey Jr. as Duckie and made him and Ringwald get together... all of which was considered... oh God how I pine...) and I can REALLY feel for the characters of St. Elmo's Fire. I just can't suspend for Breakfast Club. None of us had trouble being friends with whomever we wanted.

Ok gotta go-- Hereafter free screening!! DAMON!!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Aah, I LOVE when you do movie posts.

1. I'm super excited for Blue Valentine, though I highly doubt it will come anywhere convenient around here, so I'll probably have to wait months and months to get it on DVD. Lame.

2. I can't WAIT for Love and Other Drugs.

3. I also adored Easy A! But Amanda Bynes... she looked very strange, didn't she? I think it was a combination of the makeup job and the fact that she seemed to have either gained a ton of weight ONLY in her face, or she got lip injections or SOMETHING. Her face looked weird. I was also sad about Lisa Kudrow's character, but mostly just because I thought she was such a bitch, which I guess is obvious and how you're supposed to feel. Still, I felt disappointed in her... Oh, but Stanley Tucci was fantastic.

4. I agree about your assessment of The Breakfast Club. I liked it fine, but I never have any desire to watch it, and I can't relate at all. High school was pretty fun, and I guess there were cliques but... I only really remember the Sunshines. And they weren't mean or anything, so. Yeah.

Pretty In Pink and St. Elmo's Fire are my favorites. And dear GOD I wish they had used Robert Downey, Jr. I'm almost sad you just wrote about that, because I never knew they considered using him, and... now I'm sad. Though the original Ducky was pretty cool, and I would still rather date him than Blane. Blaine?

Blythe said...

When I think of Blue Valentine, I the MOST want to see it WITH YOU!

Also, I definitely agree about Bynes and the weight in her face and the lips. But my question is, why would they use that bright lipstick and lipliner?! I'm positive this was enhancing the problem! And that CANNOT have been crucial to the character.

I obviously also agree about the Sunshines being the only cliche I was even aware of... and they definitely didn't bother me at all. In fact, in retrospect I'm not ENTIRELY sure why we didn't hang out with them... we shared some boys... and Sara Mead.

Blythe said...

clique**