Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thoughts

One of the dogs that I'm housesitting for has a little laceration on her foot and has to wear a cone, except when we're on a walk or when I feed her. This beautiful dog is so wonderful that despite the fact that the cone annoys her (bumping into walls, carefully aiming her face into the water supply, etc) and she casually tries to get it off, every time I go to put it back on her, she goes right in. Sometimes she'll move her head around lazily as if to subtly say "I'd rather not, really. (Sigh) Well, okay." It breaks my heart in HALF! It's like when someone's sick and they act like a war victim and you're just like "shut the fuck up! It's not THAT bad." But when someone is visibly sick and they don't bitch and they mask their struggle, I want to spoon feed them soup and rub their head and hum soothingly until they fall asleep.

I'm STRONGLY considering getting an ipod. I am pretty financially stable, and I think an ipod would improve the quality of my life. I considered calling my mom to double check that this is the right choice, but then I remembered that I'm an adult(ish). I don't know why I even considered it, but I guess in my mind buying an ipod seems like a big-money choice that I shouldn't make without consultation... like a car or something. But really, it's like buying a week of groceries if you were going to have a party on Friday... (the one I want is $167 -- I will have to double check that this is something I can buy used. I'm pretty sure it's fine)

I watched Flipped (directed by Rob Reiner). Lame. I know they were trying to do a Stand By Me/Now and Then situation -- young 50s/60s love from both perspectives and the main boy was CUTE (even though I think he's like... 15), but it was inCREDIBLY cliche. Almost unwatchably cliche.

This weekend I rewatched Finding Neverland. I own it but until Friday I had only seen it once and remembered not LOVING it. So I decided to play the sims and put in on, but about 15 minutes in, I realized I would have to give the movie my full attention. Johnny Depp does an EXCELLENT Scottish accent (at least in my ears) and he and Winslet are wonderful. Also, the boy who plays Peter (August Rush, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) was MUCH better than I remembered. There was something I didn't like, though. I think it was how blatant some of the moments were. Everyone was forgiven. No one was angry. There were sound-bite phrases of advice that contained the word "dreams" too often. I didn't hate it and I've been CRAVING to see it again since. I will further explore.

Also, I promptly bought the book Peter Pan, which really is INCREDIBLE. It's MUCH cooler than you might think. Then I fantasized about aging with an obsession with Peter Pan... having collectible editions etc. But I'm pretty sure I couldn't become that person. If I have a copy of the book, I don't think I'd ever care to have ANOTHER copy of it. But I could see myself absorbing incarnations of the story. Disney Peter Pan (have), Peter Pan (2003) (have), book (have), Hook (have), Finding Neverland (have) . I don't have the broadway version because the lady in the one I've seen scares me (in a purely superficial way and I'm ashamed. She's really... muscular). The Mary Martin version (don't have, and only vaguely remember). Biographies on J.M. Barrie. We'll see. I couldn't read Peter Pan in Scarlett. It will need to come HIGHLY recommended for me to dive into that. I have zero faith.

After I finished my Peter Pan extravaganza, I ended up staying up WAAAY past my bedtime (this is now rare) and was forced to rise at 8am because my next housesitting job forgot to lock the door when they left and were paranoid. When I got to the house, I was pretty awake, but feeling the shakiness of 3 hours of sleep. I ended up rewatching A Simple Twist of Fate (Steve Martin) and crying for like... the whole thing. It's not even a SUPER sad movie. A little sad, but certainly not worth the dehydration it caused. You always feel a movie harder when you have a touch of exhaustion. If it's time for your monthlies, even better.

3 comments:

Claire said...

Hahaha I feel like I've had ALL those same thoughts about Peter Pan. I really like the book. Also, I used to watch the Broadway version as a child and I remember the woman REALLY, like fucking really, scared me. I have no clue why I watched it so many times when I obviously hated it.

Laura said...

I love Peter Pan and finally re-read the play this summer. Also read this incredible book called "Kensington Gardens" by Rodrigo Fresan. It's completely surreal and revolves around 1960 rock & stories of James Barrie.

Blythe said...

Thanks Laura! I'll check it out!!