Friday, July 25, 2008

One Extraordinary Day in Bean Town

I basically had the BEST day ever!!! Here's how it went:

Last night I went to bed around 11pm (which still half upsets me since I really like my nights. I just can't stay conscious anymore). But, I woke up at 9:30am ready to go. I look outside and it's gorgious out. I took a long shower full of singing at full voice -- I thought my roommates were at work, but actually one was home... so it was a little awkward when I emerged from the shower...
but either way, I had a beautiful shower-- full of confidence. Then I put on my new shirt from Urban Outfitters that I got when I saw Claire yesterday, applied some sunscreen, and was off.

The day was VERY sunny (we've been getting a LOT of rain-- perhaps even hail yesterday), with almost no humidity. I went to Government Center and had a gyro in Quincy Market. Then I sat on the steps outside in the shade listening to a man performing on cans (that reminded me of Angel from Rent (even though that isn't really my favorite movie)) whom I had given a dollar to before I got my food. Then the guy finished up and these other street acrobats came and performed. BUUUUT it was AWESOME because a) they are hot, british, and hilarious and b) I recognized them from a previous Government Center time, and I was just smitten with them!!! They did NOT disappoint. I gave them $5.

Then I decided to walk around a little, and while doing this I saw signs pointing towards a blood drive. The Red Cross called me about donating about 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't because I had work. SOOO I popped into the place, gave some blood (which I honestly love to do), and got some crackers, juice, a Red Sox shirt, and a coupon for chocolate covered strawberries from Edible.

Afterwards, I decided to walk to Downtown Crossing where I bought a pair of earrings, after which I went to the Boston Commons and sat in the shade and read my book, Twilight (which almost seems like a guilty pleasure, but I don't care because it's so addicting!!)

I LOOOOOOOOVE the park!!!! I really think that cities might just be how humans are MEANT to live. I don't think we should have so much space. I just love having my small room and my small apartment! And I LOOOOOVE all the people who walk around CONSTANTLY!!! But I REALLY love the park!! In a way that I never encounter in a suburban area, people at the park in the city just LOVE IT!!! The kids are REEEEALLLY about their games. The teenagers sit about in circles talking and having picnics! People sit during their lunch break and eat and listen to performers and catch some sun! Lovers rest under trees! Squirrels and pidgeons aren't afraid! I saw one man in a wheel chair, I think paralyzed from the neck down, and he was flying a kite. You just KNOW that all he wants in the world is to just fly his kite!!! And he's doing it! He's making that happen!!! Does it get any better than that? Than simple, self-created happiness?

Anyway, I saw on my new shirt with a pretzel and a soda and Twilight for 4 hours. I didn't move at all. I finally did get up when this guy started talking to me. But he was really nice. He was telling me about his Stephen King books, confessing that he was a crazy alcohalic ("I'm just being honest with you"), telling me movies that I should watch. I loved it, but decided to make my exit.

So I went home, first stopping at the book store to buy the second book after Twilight. Then I got home, finished up Twilight, started the new book, and then hung out with my work friends playing Munchkin Fu (card game) twice (and I won once), and eating pizza and cookies.

And now I'm home in my nice cool room, ready to read myself to sleep.

How awesome was my day?

No comments: