Monday, April 11, 2011

All the Important Stuff

I got a haircut by an actual PERSON on Saturday!! I didn't cut my own hair (or have a roommate/grandma trim it) for the first time in over 2 years. My hair is curly! I forgot!

I went to Ikea to look at bed frames. Ikea is SO FUN if you're with someone else and you're spending an hour casually looking at stuff with like... $50 to spend. Or if you're running around with your new lover and you're pretending the furniture is your house and there is a Chinese family in your bathroom (vicarious experience). I was in none of these circumstances, however, and thus in agony. It's like floating down the lazy river at Six Flags! All I wanted to do was get to the bed section, take a quick scan, and book it. Nay. People just stop and have a chat in the middle of the runway. And everyone is fine with that because they're moving at their own molasses pace. I couldn't be TOO pissed though because I was neither in a rush, nor in the majority. I can't get pissed at others for having fun and being regular.

Then I went to the mall and sampled some lotions at Bath & Body Works. Those lotions are $12 each!! I found the perfect smell though, which was kind of painful. I have to stick to my pint of Suave mango for $4. That's okay, though. It was still nice chatting to the passionate, gay store clerk.

Then I went to the movies. Saw Your Highness. It was AWFUL! TERRIBLE! It was so raunchy, which I like, but not if there is zero cleverness mixed in! It was as though I was supposed to laugh every time they said "fuck," just because they said it. That BARELY passes in non-scripted real life. And I don't want to be rude about Danny McBride, but I say absolutely not. I'll trade him for Zach Galifianakis if we have to. It wasn't me in a mood either. I went it EXTREMELY ready to enjoy it. Not a laugh in the theater. The biggest laughs were during the trailer for Bad Teacher.

I hung out with Caroline, who is doing a program learning about Judaism and coming to LA every month. I love Caroline so much because we, without pretense, just go to a grocery store parking lot and chat for 5 hours.

Anyway, we were talking about self-improvement and she talked about Mitzvahs, which she said are good deeds. She was talking about how being good to yourself and constantly changing and improving and learning are Mitzvahs.

So I'm going to try out a new game I invented called Mitzvahs. I wrote out a list of things and I put them on a point system. For instance, lotion regime is 1 point. Go to bed before midnight is 5 points. Finish a book is 8 points. Do laundry - clothes is 15 points. Work on set for a day is 20 points. Change oil is 50 points. Write a screenplay is 100 points. Figure out lifetime goal is 500 points. I have a two page list of such Mitzvahs, but I'm not going to put the whole thing on here, not because I'm embarrassed by it for anyone I KNOW reads this, but just in case I have more readers than I realize... I just had to be honest with myself about things I actually have some trouble doing and things that I think are good for me and important, so the point weight is a LITTLE weird possibly.

Right now I'm testing it out to see the average points I should get per week . I'm pretty excited. Although I did spend all of yesterday watching Roseanne. Just found out it's on Netflix instant watch and I can't RESIST that show. I don't even care. But I didn't make the Mitzvah list until night time, so I don't feel too bad. Plus I did my damn laundry, which is huge. Although I consistently fail at waiting for the clothes to dry completely, so I'm all damp today. Whatever. I'm starting the test points today so I don't get any points for laundry yesterday.

I also watched Look Who's Talking and Look Who's Talking Too on Friday. The former is a classic and I highly enjoyed it, but the latter is a little lame. Plus, despite my aforementioned obsession with Roseanne, Roseanne Barr makes the baby kind of creepy...

I also made a new CD that's a little Hanson heavy. So at 1am, when I was driving home from hanging out with Caroline, I blasted it and sang along. Usually I'm pretty aware if the person next to me has their window rolled down-- if they do I'll stop singing and possibly close my window. Can I brag for a moment and say that one time I did this, the guy next to me beamed at me and told me to keep singing? That was nice. But I guess this time I was too consumed and so after waiting at a light for probably a minute, I looked to my left and discovered a young man in a car of young men with his head almost entirely out the window staring at me. When we made eye contact, he BURST into hysterics. That was embarrassing. Although I admit it was probably a funny sight. I hate to say I hope he didn't realize it was Hanson.

5 comments:

Claire said...

I'm sad that Your Highness sucked. But glad to know it does... because I had my doubts. Now I can tell Corey definitively that I refuse to pay $11 to see it.

I love your singing story, especially because I get self conscious about having my windows down and music playing even when I'm not singing and it's not Hanson. I think I'll get over that, though, because it's much more fun to have the windows down.

Claire said...

Also, I LOVE your Mitzvahs game!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blythe said...

I think the Mitzvah game is partially inspired by your list of working at home advise. I find myself referencing it constantly, because I think I'm gagging for self improvement.

I highly recommend you DON'T see Your Highness. Definitely refuse.

The Lady Me said...

HAHAHAHA I laughed out loud when I read your singing story because I could totally see it happening to myself except replace Hanson with a power ballad from The Color Purple or something. Ridiculous.

Anywho, the mitzvah game sounds awesome. I think anything that makes self improvement seem fun is a good thing. I make lists obsessively thinking that if, one day, I actually finish everything on it, I'll be the happiest girl alive.

After years of making lists... I'm still looking forward to the day when I finish everything.. haha sigh...