Monday, May 23, 2011

G-rent Visit

My grandparent's visit is over. I opened our meeting with the announcement that they can't come to my apartment. I WANTED to clean my room... but I just didn't want it hard enough.

We saw the Paul Giamatti movie WIN WIN, which I enjoyed. No need to elaborate. While we were waiting for the movie, we went to Barnes and Noble and I read the first 35ish pages of BOSSYPANTS. I think I could plow through that book in an afternoon.

We also went to the fashion district and grandma offered to make my bridesmaids dress for Amy's wedding. We didn't buy any fabric, but I feel good that we got the ball rolling on another project. We also got a GREAT hot dog on the street. They put caramelized onions and peppers and ketchup, mustard, and MAYONNAISE. I didn't know how important mayonnaise could be on a dog. Perfect.

On our way out of the down town LA area, my GPS stopped working entirely. I drove around almost aimlessly for 15 minutes while my grandparents told me a story about architecture or the travel plans of fellow senior citizens (wasn't listening) because what I hate more than being in a pickle, is other people's reactions to pickles. Which is why EVERY time I set something on fire, I try to take care of it on my own first.

After the 15 minutes, though, I had to reveal my ineptitude. Shockingly, they were EXTREMELY unconcerned. I said "I really have NO idea where I'm going" and they were like "that's okay. We don't mind driving around." They obviously didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

However, miracle of miracles, I FOUND MY WAY TO BURBANK. And then from Burbank, I FOUND MY WAY TO PASADENA. And from Pasadena, I found my way BACK TO BURBANK! I was EXTREMELY proud, although I'm pretty sure it was due to luck, primarily. I happened to have gone to and from Pasadena two or three times by the time I had to make it by myself. And to get out of the city, I just drove towards the hills and miraculously hit a street I know well (and I can only claim knowledge of... 15 streets max). Regardless, I don't need my GPS for day to day life. But my grandpa mentioned, with a level of concern that denotes an obvious overestimation of my directional capabilities, how unfortunate this is given my friends' arrival on Wednesday. BUMMER. My only relief is knowing that Elana is bringing her own GPS. Thank god.

Insert: My theory on the information age is NOT that we're stupider, but that we're less confident. My boss will spout out phone numbers and dates and names straight out of her mind. I will spout things too, but I always follow my information with "let me just triple check" as I quickly go online and confirm my information (this is NOT including phone numbers, which I never remember. If I lose my phone, I can call my house in PA, my boss's cell phone, or I can check the voicemail in the office. That's it). I'm pretty sure I'm always right, but because I can be SURE so quickly, I always double check my information.

During the course of their visit, my grandparents talked a LOT about how awesome and hilarious Meredith, my sister, is. Later in the night, I was racked with grief over the fact that I clearly don't know my sister at all and texted her as much (including the small, almost undetectable dig on my sister suggesting that any funniness or awesomeness must have developed really recently-- I'm proud of it, although my two test audiences didn't think it was funny. Whatever).

What resulted was the most intimate conversation we've ever had. It was a real break through and I'm so happy because, as I told my sister, we're the only ones who know what it was REALLY like growing up in our house. I wrote an imaginary email to my grandma JoAnne giving her the highlights.

SO PUMPED ABOUT MY VISITORS!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAHH!!

No comments: