Monday, October 24, 2011

Another Weekend Summary

Pretty good weekend.

On Friday I went to an improv show at UCB! Even though I think of myself as a consumer of improv, I'm not enough! Knowing 20 episodes of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" does not an improv connoisseur make. Mostly I was just extremely impressed. Although there were occasional extended moments of zero laughter that made me feel terrible but I'm pretty sure it's just an inevitability. I had to force a chuckle on occasion, but for the most part it was riotous. I went with my high school friend Darri and a friend, and we met up with yet another friend later in the night for some Italian food at a VERY quaint Italian restaurant on Melrose. I'll go back if I remember what it was called. Very cute outdoor garden in the back.

Saturday I woke up early to get the mechanic at 8am (lame). But when I got there, he didn't have the part. I am in love with my mechanic, but he could've called. But whatever. I didn't go back to sleep and instead watched Drive (which I own due to job perks (when I have job perks, they are the BEST!)).

It was good. From the beginning it was clear that they were trying to bring an 80s vibe to it via the soundtrack. It reminded me of a Less Than Zero or True Romance (although that was 93), even though I don't EXACTLY remember the soundtrack for either of those films. It was fine, except that the acting was too good to correspond with such jolting music. There was definitely a scene in particular with Carey Mulligan where the music and scene were so off that it was more like listening to the movie in mute and letting the loud neighbors next door provide the tunes.

Other than that, it was stellar acting and casting (Albert Brooks!!), a pretty straightforward plot, and an annoying ending (but it seems like all movies like this have an annoying ending). Mostly, it was ABSOLUTELY worth watching for the Gosling alone. I was literally groaning aloud every time his mouth twitched to a grin and I rewound frequently to get a second helping of certain looks exchanged between Gosling and Mulligan. Plus, he was a mostly silent character, which means that his suave, altruistic, mysterious appearance was never tarnished with shitty dialogue.

ANYWAY

Then I watched Miss Congeniality and spent the remainder of the daylight hours rereading Ella Enchanted. The latter was especially excellent, even though it's a children's book and I basically know it by heart. If I had to make an HONEST list of my top books, it would still be in the top 5 (assuming Harry Potter is counted as one book...). Then I had some friends over... so at least I did something...

Sunday I got a hair straightener for the wedding. I'm not sure if that was a life changing purchase since my hairstyle is what I lovingly refer to as "hangover hair," even though I never actually have a hangover. For now I haven't even opened the straightener because I have neither a blowdryer, nor the willingness to devote 15 minutes to hair in the morning. Lotion Regime has taken that time slot and I prioritize moist skin above straight hair. For now.

I also refilled some paint colors, got a couple of canvases, and scoured a Vogue I bought several months ago for new painting ideas while watching the extended version of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I LOVE that movie. LOVE.

Plus, I finally tested out my solar, cool white Christmas lights. PERFECT choice. Cool lights are so elegant and unobtrusive and give the fairyland impression that I love. Very pleased.

Wedding next weekend!

3 comments:

Esha said...

Um. I LOVE Ella Enchanted. It is definitely one of my favorite childhood books too. That Anne Hathaway movie was incredibly unfortunate...

Blythe said...

AHHHH!!! I love it so much!!!! After I read it this weekend, I decided to peep the Hathaway movie trailer to double check that I don't want to watch it... and it confirmed my suspicions. "Unfortunate" is the exact adjective!

I am always so glad that you read my journals!! Thank you! And I love you and miss you!!!

Esha said...

BLYYYTHE I miss you too! Julia is visiting in a few weeks and I wish you were coming so we could sing the Growing Pains theme song and play the pictures game just like old times. I was going to comment on your newest post but this feels more conversational. :)

Re: new post- You are going to be the BEST person at that wedding (not including the people actually getting married), I bet. Have lotsolotsolotso fun!