Monday, October 10, 2011

Good Weekend (Boring Title)

Excellent weekend.

1. Got to see Julia for the first time in... impossible to estimate the time frame. "Long-ass" is my best approximation. It was magnificent.

And on a side note, I really want to find a bar near me that's casual and only costs $3.50 for a Sam Adams like Rancho (her preferred dive bar). I just can't make the journey to Altadena every time the mood strikes.

2. I basically did nothing on Saturday. This point is emphasized by the fact that I spent approximately 45 minutes walking around my living room with my pajamas and heels on, whistling. Not cleaning or waiting for something or thinking hard about a vexing situation. Just whistling. Mostly I had pre-forgiven myself for wasting a day because on Sunday...

3. Corina and I had Nesting Day. Our apartment has looked like we just moved in since... we moved in. In July. We picked this day several weeks in advance and we had 5 goals.

Goals:
a. Breakfast burritos-- We weren't THRILLED with our burrito vendor (we had to pay extra for cheese and bacon), but it was delicious.

b. Christmas lights- we were anticipating more of a struggle on this, but Target has an INCREDIBLE selection of Christmas lights. Presumably it was serendipitous timing, but there were seriously boxes of JUST purple Christmas lights. And solar powered lights!

Corina got a box of blue and a box of purple for her room. I got a box of red for mine (I'm not 1000% confident about my choice, but I haven't hung them yet-- we'll see). We got a box of colored for the living room and 2 boxes of solar powered, cool white lights for our balcony.

c. mats/rug - since we planned this day forever ago, we fully intended on getting our things at garage sales and thrift stores. However we quickly learned that rugs are expensive. Really expensive. Like... $100. So we've temporarily abandoned the idea of a rug in favor of mats. We got an outdoor welcome mat and a kitchen mat at Lowe's and we got 4 rugs that are all awesome and slightly different from Osh (I'd describe them more, but I feel like in this case, my words will never give you an accurate picture. Better wait and photograph it). We'll wait on the rug until we're certain we know what the forever color scheme of our living room will be.

d. Dining table - Again, we really hunted. $150 for a decent one at a garage sale. $200 for a good one at a thrift store. More than $200 at the unfinished furniture store. We finally went to Ikea where we found a very basic table for $70. The chairs were $20 each, so we only got two. What I'm saying is, if you eat at my house, you will be sitting on patio furniture. And depending on the size of the gathering, it might not even be a chair.

Corina and I assembled our table and chairs to the music of Eric Whitacre until our fingers became enflamed.

e. Pizza - We prepared the box of pizza dough mix that my aunt gave me and made a pizza topped with pesto, basil, tomato slices, sun dried tomato slices, pieces of fresh mozzarella, pieces of feta, and garlic. Cooked on the pizza stone that my aunt sent me. It was a wildly delicious (and slightly redundant) pizza!

For posterity, I must add that... I felt unwell in ways I will not detail this morning. I feel strongly that this is not a coincidence. But if I still had more of that pizza in the fridge, the knowledge of its consequences would not deter further consumption. It was worth it, is what I'm saying.

We ended the day with some apricot beer and Grosse Point Blank.

2 comments:

Claire said...

That sounds awesome! I'm really jealous, because I'm 99% sure that I will never get to decorate an apartment with another girl. And boys either don't care or they have terrible ideas.

Blythe said...

To be honest, I kind of need to be coaxed. I'm grateful for Corina because she keeps me excited about it. I bet you could get Corey to be excited about it. Plus, if he doesn't care, you get full creative independence!