Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pre-trip Babbling

I am SO excited to drive that rental car on Saturday! I'm even more excited about other parts of my trip, but... that's what I feel like expressing. Especially because MY car is giving me grief again. Physically it's in regular shape (still waiting on rusty muffler companion piece), but now I have to deal with the registration. I recalled, with the help of my mother, that my registration is up this month. So I need to switch my car insurance, plates, and possibly license. And I don't want to be bitter about this, but I swear they make it almost COMPLETELY impossible. Why is the DMV not open on Saturday?!! I would GLADLY (well... we'll say that although in an alternate universe in which the DMV WAS open on Saturday, the real adverb would probably be closer to "begrudgingly." But pressing on...) wait at the DMV all day on a Saturday, but taking the morning off is just the worst. This is doing absolutely nothing for the reputation of government run agencies, I'll tell you that. It's not even a good story because I've NEVER heard anything nice about the DMV.

The point is I stressed about this for a week and a half, then promptly decided that it simply can't be done. I simply can't get the registration switched before the end of the month. I pray that no cops pull me over in the week or two (hopeful estimate) of November when I'm trying to work it out. I love the relief that giving up gives you. Like when you're running late and you start going CRAZY, praying, cutting corners on time. But then after you realize there is no way for you to be on time, you instantly relax. It's done now. There is no hope. I can just plan for the consequences now.

Things to be done:

1. Laundry. Bummer.
2. Buy a specific thing for Amy that I don't think you can get in CO.
3. Pack
4. Find camera and charge battery
5. Make sure I can park at the airport.

My MAIN goal for tonight was going to be to write my speech. I had every intention of going home tonight and pounding it out like a paper. However, last night, as I was wandering around my apartment my brain just started giving an imaginary speech. After 5 minutes I realized that I should write this shit down!! and bolted to my room. 2 hours later, speech complete. Well... it's good enough that I won't be ashamed to read it as is, but I've made some changes throughout the day.

I'm having a bit of a fling with Monty Python. I wouldn't call it a full blown obsession. A mild flirtation. But I bought their autobiography for $6 (with shipping) on amazon. Mostly so that I don't go into an awkward spiral in which I only read Ella Enchanted over and over every day. The abuse that book has taken is evident. No one would be surprised if said spiral was already taking place, by the looks of it.

Bah! It will be so weird to leave California! I will not have daydreams about them refusing to let me back in once I've stepped out. I will not.

2 comments:

Claire said...

I'm so excited for you to go on your trip! It sounds like so much fun.

Also, this reminded me of your old Monopoly games: http://jezebel.com/5854105/woman-sent-directly-to-jail-after-monopoly-game-stabbing

Blythe said...

I mean... sometimes you just have to stab someone. Monopoly isn't for the faint of heart.... because if you have a faint heart, you might die!