Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life IS a Game

So, I'm not doing BAD... but I need to make money. I THOUGHT I got a $125/day gig from Tuesday through Saturday, but that fell through-- budget cut. I ALMOST asked if I could do it for free anyway because it sounded like a fucking BLAST, but... I'm not sure that would have been the best monetary choice. Luckily, my post people want to keep me through the week at least, but... I thought I was going to make a month's rent this week and... now I'm going to make 1/4 of my rent. Lame.

I was telling my grandpa that my life feels like this high intensity game. And it's amazing. I'll do ANYTHING for as many hours as long as I'm not doing anything else. I try to charm the pants off of everyone I know at said gig, praying that someone thinks of me for a job later. It's KIND OF working. And the reason it's so high intensity is that I'm throwing myself into all of these positions in which I know no one, or I only know one person vaguely. You'd think (or at least III'D think) it would be super scary, but... I kind of feel like I'm getting good at it (if I may be so immodest). It's more thrilling than scary, which is a relief because if it wasn't, I picked the wrong position to be in.

As far as this post job goes, I REALLY need to make sure that I learn a lot. If I'm just doing it for the $50/day, then I should just work at Baskin Robins or something.

So here is the question. What kind of side job can I get to make sure I don't die? I know one friend does event stuff, but I think it's with friends or something because how does he make it so flexible?

I just don't want to go to an agency yet. I can't even explain how much I love being on set. 13 hour days are cake and... when am I ever going to find that again? And I wasn't even paid on the last one so... it was really just pure pleasure.

Anyway anyway, finished the True Blood. I'm absolutely hooked. Last night, Kevin and I got home around the same time (after 9pm my time) and we decided to watch True Blood online and then discuss it afterwards. HE watched it, while I spent an HOUR looking for it online to no avail. I was PISSED!/I almost shed real tears. After Kevin finished, he called me and talked me off the ledge for an hour before I tried again at 11:30pm. Thank god it was there. It would have been tragic if I died-- couldn't even make it my first 2 days of waiting. Completely un-evolved.

Went to a camera rehearsal of this shoot I'm doing on Sunday and Monday. It was AWESOME because it's these huge choreographed fight scenes with swords. I won't go into too much detail (although I kind of doubt it's that confidential, but just to be safe), but... it was great!

Saw The Kids Are Alright. Right after I first watched it, I applauded the subtlety of the film. I liked the characters, particularly Julianne Moore whom I don't usually LOVE but never really hate. However, as I reflected more, I kind of felt like it was pretty anti-climactic. There were no make or break moments. There was obviously some drama, but the solution was pretty streamlined. Although... maybe they were just trying to make it really real. But... if I want real, I'll just live. Plus, the kids in particular, had zero dramatic or life-changing moments, which is a little unacceptable when they're the namesake of the film.

I DID like the way the lesbian relationship was portrayed. I like that we're getting into a time when a movie featuring lesbians doesn't have to REVOLVE around them being lesbians... and they can be real individuals without them having to define lesbian culture as a whole. Ruffalo was satisfactory and Benning was genius. And like I said, Moore was particularly great! Definitely my favorite part.

I think I'm going to have to wait on Inception until I find a way to make some moneys. Budgeting is the name of the game right now.


No comments: