Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Needs Improvement

I need to go on a campaign for more appreciation of my life. I was VERY appreciative mere months ago and now I'm becoming whiny. I think I need to make small goals, because I while I'm certainly not miserable at work, I can't fool myself into thinking that perpetuating this existence for work alone is at all satisfactory.
Homeless people. Third world countries. People in the 1930s. Etc. etc.

I need to re-watch the following movies:
The Godfather
Almost Famous
Mysterious Skins
Annie Hall

I'm making a list of my top 100 movies, but I can't put them in because I don't remember them enough. I doubt The Godfather will make the cut, but I need to double check.

I think cellphones are ruining our lives and I'm resentful that no one has campaigned against them yet. I talked to Natalya at length about this, and I really believe it's a blog-worthy subject. Furthermore, I do not believe that I'm being archaic.

The other day, Elana shared some tragic news with me: her company is providing her with a blackberry and paying for the bills, provided that she answer her phone at all times. I find this abusive. Before cell phones, if I wasn't in the house, which was always likely, no one could reach me. But now, I'm being rude or irresponsible. The other day, I got a call from someone important relatively early in the morning. In the 90s, I could let the call go because I could reasonably be out of the house, but I had to answer it because in this world in which our phones are always with us, I had to answer or risk the embarrassment that I was still asleep. It's my prerogative (how is that the correct spelling??) if I work all week and I want to spend my free time sleeping. I don't need the judgement. I know this is a tiny grievance and that it represents laziness, but I don't care. I don't think that people should be able to reach me whenever they want if I haven't committed to a time or I'm not on the clock. I think that in this work-centric world, in which you are cutthroat to get to the top, not giving someone the freedom to NOT be on call 24/7 is going to kill people. I'm imagining therapy over this, interrupted by inane texts--irony that belongs in movies.
Global warming. Wars over water. Rampant cancer. Overpopulation. Etc. etc.

No comments: