Monday, November 8, 2010

Positive Shift

I am feeling MUCH better now. It, I believe, is largely due to a hormonal shift, unfortunately. The following things also contributed:

1. I'm in love with my mechanic.

After the whole registration debacle, I put the rest of my vehicle anxieties on the back burner. I'd been pumping my brakes at every light for a while, an issue was accompanied by a screeching when I braked. Then someone else drove my car and told me that it terrified her and that I needed to get the brakes checked. Then I discussed my brakes with my mom, and... her concern was great and her prediction was a $1000 brake change. I do not have $1000. It feels as though I will never have $1000. And the prospect of taking the bus to work, when it already takes me an hour and fifteen minutes by direct route, seemed extremely ominous. Of course, dying in a fiery collision is also a bit ominous. I stopped letting friends in the car with me.

Then today, I finally got the car checked and...
IT WAS MY BRAKE CYLINDER!! And my mechanic only charged me $150 to replace that AND change my oil. I tried to tip him $20 but he absolutely refused. I can't even express the relief. My head LITERALLY replayed "I'm Walkin' on Sunshine" for the hour after I heard the news.

2. I got to hang with Julia AND Corina this weekend. That's just a blessing.

3. I got to talk to my grandpa. The time between calls was longer this time, but it was glorious because the last he heard, I was on my WAY to getting paid very little for only 2 days a week. So while I'm still making very little, I'm making a ... SURVIVABLE amount of money, with prospects. And I miraculously have a steady odd-job situation to help me out. It was a negative talk, but negative with hope (only on the job-front. The rest of our conversation was pure positive). And also, at least I'm clearly doing the best I can do.

4. I got paid more than I deserved for a babysitting job.

5. I got invited to 2 Thanksgiving dinners, which is divine and I'm so grateful. However, Natalya said that she might come down (!!!) and we can dumpster dive for Thanksgiving, which is my choice. I'm SO excited!!!!!

6. Even though I'm not the high-priestess of good karma, I believe these questionable things helped my case.

A. I hugged a homeless man.

The other day I was going into 7 Eleven and I had some dollar bills so I took one out to give to the homeless man outside. He smiled at me while I was walking in, so I gave the bill to him before I entered. He seemed shocked and pleased and even asked me if I was sure I wanted to give him money BEFORE entering my location. I assured him, went in, bought what I needed, and came out. He wished me a happy Halloween and then told me he could use a hug... aaaand because I have no self-control, I did it. I got into the car afterwards and he asked me to roll down the window. He wished me another happy Halloween and told me he could use another hug, at which point I said "k... goodbye" and drove away.

B. I picked up a hitchhiker. I actually thought this decision would be... no-so well received, but no one, including Kevin, Corina, my co-worker, and my grandpa really scolded me about it. Thus, I feel I can write about it in my blog.

I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for Corina to get home so we could hang out. My window was down and I was talking to Kevin when a kid my age-ish asked me if I was going his way. I said I wasn't, but he seemed really desperate and offered me $10, so despite Kevin's precognitive warning for me to not pick up hitchhikers, I did it anyway with Kevin on the line the whole time (Chiding in my ear about the kid leading me to my death, no less. And asking me to say "blue" if the kid was unattractive, to which I replied a subtle "purple.") The kid told me he was from Hawaii and he was here to be an actor. He said he was trying to catch the train because he had been sleeping in the park for a couple of days and a friend was offering him his or her couch. At the end of the trip he gave me $10. I refused but he insisted (/I took it after the second offering because... I like money right now). Afterwards, while I felt good for helping, I felt crappy for taking $10 from a kid who has been sleeping in the park. C'est la vie. My vehicle situation proves (if I sincerely believed in karma or magic) that my intentions were pure enough for good luck.

Mostly I'm just feeling far more grateful than I was for a bit. Hopefully it lasts, but I have high hopes.

On a side issue, my new obsession with 3rd Rock from the Sun has been contributing to my joy as well.

Also, on the list of movies to re-watch: What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

No comments: