Monday, September 21, 2009

Money Issues That I Can Complain About

I'm seriously going to stop talking about money the SECOND it stops being my main cause of anxiety. Seriously SERIOUSLY! And I'm super pissed about it because I don't really believe this to be my fault anymore.

I started working for Hillel on Sept. 3 and since then I've literally worked 29 hours for Hillel alone (and 43 hours if you add SED). Why don't I have any money on Sept 21?! And some of these problems should be solved. For instance, it took him (my boss) about 100 years to put my name into the computer. Obviously I don't know what that process involves, and maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt, but I only filled out one side of a sheet of paper... so how much more could he have to do?

Also, I've just been handing him my hours on a sheet of paper. I asked him on the first day if I should punch in and he said no because I wasn't in the computer yet. Fine. Three shifts (a week) later I asked him if it was time yet. No, still not in the computer. Even though at this point I believe it is HIS job to tell me when I'm in the computer, I ask again last Thursday. Yes, he says. I should have been swiping in.
!!!! I'm going to die of fury! (that is an exaggeration)!

So fine. I accept that my Hillel boss is inept (yes. I WILL be that harsh!). BUUUT SED (my other job) is not. I started SED in the middle of the week about 2 weeks ago. I worked 4 hours, which would be about $30, which isn't much... but it'll get me through a week. On Friday, I went to SED to pick up this check. It wasn't there! The lady looked for it on the computer for me. If you work in two places at the University, they only give you one check for both jobs. My check has been sent to the Hillel!
NOOOO!!
I asked her if she could have my check directed to SED for next time, which she did. That doesn't really help now though. It only gives me comfort that next Friday I should have the 10 hours of money I earned from SED last week... which is actually quite a comfort.

The EASILY most annoying part about that was that I asked my Hillel manager about it. At the time that I filled out my employment paper, I said I wanted my to pick up my check at Hillel because I wasn't sure I was still working for SED. The day after I found out I'd be working for SED again, I asked him specifically if I could have my checks sent there. "They probably will already go there," he said.

MOTHER OF CRAP!

On Saturday, I tentatively told him that my SED check had been sent to the Hillel. He told me he would look for it in the office on Monday. I am never getting that check.

Now it WOULD seem that I'm being dramatic. I GUESS I am. But actually... I'm not really. I had $500 worth of points that I could spend at whatever location on campus, essentially. I spent $300 on books and I've spent the other $200 on various things already... since I've only had $50 for the past... however long. So now I have exactly $.97 in points. And I have exactly $3.76 in my checking account and $.48 in my savings. I have a half a bag of spaghetti and a half a jar of sauce. I have several cans of tuna and I get sandwiches on Tuesday and Thursday from the Hillel. Today I went to the dining hall and stole as much food as I could.

Fine. I'll make it through a week. But the issue I have right now is that I have to print out 3 scripts and a semi-paper thing for Wednesday. The scripts are about 50 pages each and I no longer have a quota (the University lowered the quota from 500 pages (with the option to request more) to 100 pages, which I went through with one homework assignment). Two scripts cost me $7.30 last week. I also have to print out a piece of music for Tuesday.

I don't know what I'm going to do, although I have some ideas.

I am angry about money, and for the first time in months, I'm not angry at myself.

1 comment:

Claire said...

That seriously sucks. I don't think it's complaining at all to be mad about those things. That man NEEDS to find your check!!