Wednesday, September 30, 2009

All Riled Up

Now that the world (U.S.) is inundated with crazies, it's almost difficult to be enraged... because it'd take too long. When Barack Obama makes his joint congress speech correcting the lies that have been getting press despite the originators complete lack of authority on the subject, and then Sarah Palin goes on facebook the next day and writes that she still believes in death panels, how can you get upset? I mean, it's upsetting... but it's SOOO absurd that you can't argue with it. What would you say? "Based on what? BASED ON WHAT do you believe in death panels?!!! Based on nothing at all!! Based on your feelings? Did God tell you, you irresponsible, self-serving fucker!?" I'm just saying that you can't argue with crazies and it only serves to raise your blood pressure if you think about it too much.

But sometimes it all adds up. You hear about Palin. Kirk Cameron is crazily, but charismatically, handing out copies of Darwin's On the Origin of Species with a 50 page forward about how God actually made everything. Obama being pressured and backing down from the health care changes we NEEEEED!! (lest my generation be flooded from global warming, burned from the lack of ozone, dying of teflon cancer and all sleeping together in a huddled mass because we went bankrupt trying to get chemo)!

But, and I don't know why THIS sent me over the edge, but it did... I can't BELIEVE parents took their kids out of school because they didn't want them to hear the President speak. What the FUCK!?! I just want to know why I've been pressured into feeling like IIII have no patriotism because I think some countries have more ideal priorities when THIS bullshit happens! You don't do that! You don't train your children to be stubborn. To not listen to people. To think that the President's ideas are so dangerous that you get taken out of SCHOOL?! Fostering that kind of distrust! If I had kids I wouldn't even THINK of not letting them listen to Bush... especially because it's not like he would tell them to join the army... just like Obama's not going to tell them about health care. Those issues are controversial. He's just telling them to work hard and wash their hands!! I mean, especially when I think of how much those repubs seem to enjoy the idea of social standing and respect (to put them in a box)... you RESPECT your President... the way you respect an adult. We VOTED for him and too bad if you don't like it because maybe next time we'll vote for your guy.

Bill Maher posed what I think is a very interesting question. After we were attacked, democrats and republicans joined together because we were worried for our country together. We accepted, for a while, George Bush's plans. We trusted him. If we got attacked again, would republicans rally around Obama? I think the answer is no.

I HOPE these crazies are just getting disproportionate media coverage because crazy people are interesting. I HOPE that's the case. Although then we'll have to address the extreme irresponsibility of the media.

Damnit!

4 comments:

Claire said...

I was amazed by that, too. Seriously? You won't let your kids meet the PRESIDENT?! Of the United States??! Really???? Because he's coming to tell them to do their homework and work hard and be successful? That's a BAD message? Damn. People are stupid.

But yeah, at the same time, how can you even CARE that Sarah Palin is still lying about death panels? It's just sooo ridiculous and unfounded, it seems like everyone HAS to realize that! It AMAZES me that some people don't.

Claire said...

And did I give you this link? I thought I did... but I'm mildly drunk so often it's hard to remember:

http://pandagon.net/index.php/site/comments/a_rom_com_about_abortion/

I just think it's fun. Love me some Jenny Slate.

Blythe said...

You did and I saved it, but I removed the post.

Claire said...

Aah, I couldn't remember what post it was. Also, can I say how much I miss you and your similar tastes in creepy/occult like items? I just watched "The Craft" by myself the other day because I just KNEW that if I watched it with anyone else I would be annoyed by their take on it, and it would be nowhere near as good as watching it with you. I obviously have problems... but I miss you!