Thursday, December 23, 2010

Quite Busy

Seems like there is so much to say!

1. It's been raining for like... 6 days straight. I was pissed for maybe... 2 of them, before I learned that now is no time for flats. One day was spent getting my feet soaked and then drying them and my suede flats by the space heater. Over and over and over again. But... now that I've mastered the use of my umbrella, carefully chosen pants that don't drag on the ground, and which sweatshirt is allowed to be wet and which isn't, it's not so bad. I'm pretty sure at the end it will be like a cold-- you barely notice it, yet it's such a wonderful surprise when you can breathe through your nose again.

2. Christmas cards was a failure. I bought four and gave away three. The only gifts I got were for my bosses. They were both picture frames. Initially I tried to go to the mall. It was pouring (obviously) and when I got out at my exit, the roads were packed leading me to believe that someone was hit by a car. Nay. It was PACKED because people were trying to get into the mall. Aloud I said "fuck this," and turned right around. I totally forgot that shopping around Christmas is the pinnacle of unpleasant.

3. Actually this week has been great because I got so many presents. I got a pocketbook and 2 movie theater passes!! A BUNCH of makeup (semi-mystery) and some shirts (lucky) and a coupon book and MONEY! I just... forgot about that part. Also, I want to know when the tables will turn and I will give more than receive, because I basically do nothing but receive now.

4. I've been babysitting this 8-year-old kid (there are 2, but the older one kind of chills on his own). I don't want to tell the whole tale, but I'll give the highlights:
a. He has his own nail polish, which he used on my nails, my toenails, and several rocks.
b. He was obsessed with making beaded animals, although not especially geckos.
c. He has his own jewelry box, the prize object being a coral necklace.
Him: This is real coral. It's worth $450 but it was brought down to $97 and we bought it on Black Friday for $42.
Me: Oh, did you buy it for your mom, or is it for you?
Him: It's mine. And this jewelry box is real leather!

5. Also!!! through job perks that I will not elaborate on, I got to see BLUE VALENTINE! The acting was superb, the plot was a little... short.

6. Devon's birthday was yesterday! Aforementioned 8-year-old's pizza party very soon today. Hanging with Liz tomorrow. Caroline on Christmas! Housesitting on the 29th. Breaks are short as hell.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I've been finding that driving ANYWHERE around Christmas totally blows, and I find this really unfair because I'm not trying to shop. I'm just trying to get to the gynecologist.

Did you know that tickets at the Regal near here are now $14.50?!! (Of course I don't know how you would know that.) I don't know what they cost around you, but I think that's outrageous. They used to cost $11, which was bad enough, but I really want to know how they justify a $3.50 increase out of nowhere.

I love the kid you babysit. He sounds way cooler than the kids I sat for over the summer - they had no jewelry and no hobbies.