Monday, January 31, 2011

Only Movies

I watched so many movies this weekend as I was under the weather. To be honest, not so much physically but mentally. I just couldn't bare it so I gave myself a sick day. I do what I want...

Ones I'd already seen:
John Tucker Must Die - Why is Penn Badgley not more famous yet? I have already read the script to a GREAT movie for him.

The Girl Next Door - Rewatched to double check that this movie not a hidden gem and I didn't realize it before. It's not really, but Emile plays it with such sincerity that it's definitely better than average.

Trainspotting - I mean... it's a fave.

Sweet Home Alabama - Just fine.

New:
Bright Star - the clear winner. I'm still winding down from that one.

Alice in Wonderland (Burton version) - Didn't love it. The most compelling part was that I KIIIND of wanted Alice and the Mad Hatter to make out... similar to my feelings towards Dorothy and the Scarecrow... I'm marginally ashamed...

Pay it Forward - I thought the ending was extremely cheap. Plus, I can't really take Helen Hunt's characters anymore. She nails the abrupt, good-mom thing, but it annoys me now. Also, the music during the Haley and Kevin scenes reminded me simultaneously of The Sixth Sense and American Beauty music.

The Duchess - They needed to develop her feelings for the future prime minister more. I should have been SOBBING but... I didn't really care. I was DEFINITELY frustrated with her marriage though. I probably won't watch that one again.


3 comments:

(other) Claire said...

I just saw The Duchess recently too. I liked it, although I agree with your comment and I thought the ending was abrupt. Afterwards I read the biography it was based on, which was really interesting and NOTHING like the movie. Her marriage wasn't nearly as bad, she was a lot older than Charles, and Bess was like...completely evil.

Blythe said...

That's so weird that they would change it so much... at least the part about Bess being evil.

I hate to say that PART of the reason I didn't care was because the future prime minister wasn't very attractive. But I insist he COULD have been had they given me a taste of his personality at ALL.

Devon said...

I can't BELIEVE you don't think Dominic Cooper isn't a stone cold fox! Maybe I watched it in a different mood, but I thought The Duchess was GREAT. I kind of liked the fact that you don't see much of Georgiana and Charles' feelings for each other (though they definitely could have taken more time to develop it and I wouldn't have complained). I took it as much more as a feminist period statement and less as a love story. (though sweet GOD, Dominic Cooper...)