Thursday, June 23, 2011

APARTMENT!!!

APARTMENT PROCURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The last couple of days have been TORTURE while I waited to see if we'd been accepted. Even though I felt PRETTY SURE, I couldn't write a blog until I got the call. Tonight we're giving the building manager the remainder of the deposit, HOPEFULLY signing the lease, and we can POSSIBLY begin moving stuff this weekend! (I may be running wild with my fantasies, but these are definitely possibilities).

This is my biggest accomplishment since I got my job 10 months ago! If I was still playing mitzvah, I would be through the ROOF with points!! However, I learned that when you're actually busy doing stuff, adding up points for said stuff is kind of a needless task.

Features of my new apartment:
About 1/3 closer to work than before (possible underestimation)
2 sizable bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
2 parking spaces
sizable kitchen and living room - tiled.
Balcony with access from the living room and both bedrooms (!!!)
$1395 for first 3 months and $1495 for the rest.
Laundry facilities in the building.

Things that still need to be taken care of:
-Purchase a refrigerator. About half the apartments in LA don't come with a refrigerator. The upside is that a lot of people are, therefore, getting rid of their refrigerators for cheap.
-importantly- MOVE said refrigerator
-Move our beds and stuff
-figure out how to get our bills in our name (gas and electricity)
-get some internet

These issues are kind of big ones, which is emphasized by me having almost no money. I, unfortunately, underestimated the amount our deposit would be by more than half! I thought it was half of the rent, but that was only on approved credit, which means EXCELLENT credit. And I have NO credit. And presumably, neither does Corina. I admit this was a sizable mistake, but I was INITIALLY expecting to pay full rent as a deposit so.... actually it was pretty okay.

Fortunately, my grandparents are helping me, and I had a little extra from my birthday. But the money stress is a little unpleasant.

After that, I need to start seeing how much money I save when I don't eat all of my money. This is very important because:
1. My mom thinks I need to let CA know that I'm here. $300 (ish)
2. plane tickets and dress to procure for wedding at the end of October
3. Loan payments to begin in November. Nearly $300 per month.

And now a list of things I will eventually need:
1. Couch
2. Table and chairs
3. Book shelf
4. dresser
5. dishes and silverware

And new shoes. My shoes, that I bought less than a MONTH ago are almost unwearable!

Things I want:
1. Blender (smoothies and margaritas)
2. Toaster
3. Fabric to start fairy land in my room
4. Pyrex pie dish
5. Crock pot?

(I'm actually a little excited to look for a lot of these eventual needs and wants at goodwill and for free or little money on craigslist.)

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer on new apartment day. But having the new apartment is highlighting all of the other things I need to start tackling now that I have the ability.

Also, I'm trying not to be super pissed at Davida for holding me back for a year and trying to charge me out the ass at the end (infamous (in my head) $125 room cleaning fee)) and recognize that this is what happened and that it was possibly for the best. It's so easy to start mentally projecting anger at easy targets when you're concerned.

Okay, wait wait wait.
NEW APARTMENT!!!!
Talking on the phone in my house! Spaghetti and eggs and guacamole and pork chops and tuna casserole and rosemary chicken and baked potatoes! People coming over for dinner! Visitors sleeping on my couch instead of in my bed or at a hotel! Cold sodas!

This will be a glorious new beginning. Especially since the closer and closer I've gotten to moving, the more I've realized that this past year BARELY counted as living independently. It more closely resembled living with my mom... if my mom got 100x more anal and started charging me for said services.

Ugh, the bitterness.

Side note: Pavarotti Pizza-Perogi died. It was the same day as Barney and since I cared about it 1/1000 of how much I cared about Barney, I forgot to mention it. Although I do want to note the selflessness of Pavarotti-- dying just in time for me to not have to worry about moving him around.

5 comments:

Claire said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm SO excited for you!!!!!!!

(And also for me... is it weird/bad/retarded that I'm already planning my next visit to you in my head? Because I am...)

And PLEASE send me your new address as soon as you move!!

The Lady Me said...

Congratulations!! That's so exciting!! You're going to have so much fun decorating!!

Natalya said...

Awesome! Especially the balcony and fairy land in your room. When I visit, I'm sleeping on the balcony.

Esha said...

yayayayayayay! you should def scour the streets and the free section of craigslist for furniture. paint and sandpaper and wood glue for fixing stuff is way cheaper than real people furniture :)

Blythe said...

Claire & Natalya - I INSIST that you start now fantasizing about your ideal stay with me. Insist.

Monique - I think I will be a solid 6 months before decorating is really an option, seeing as it's going to be weeks before I can stop living out of a suitcase. But i am excited.

Esha - YES! This is my dream. And an important bonus would be feeling more like Bob Dylan. I know he BUILT his furniture in NY.