Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Barney

Barney
Who ruined me for all other dogs
Who would race me to my house during the last leg of our walks
and always win
Who would only go to bed when the last person was asleep
and only stay downstairs when the last person safely woke up
(which means he was always with me)
Who's favorite toy was his rope, of which he wore through several
playing tug-of-war with my mom for the win
and purposefully losing to my brother and sister to boost their confidence
Who learned to look both ways after his youthful car accident
Who loved cats
and approached kittens with care and patience
Who knew the words "vacuum" and "gentle" and "excuse me"
Who loved to go for joy rides with my mom to get hamburgers
Who protected me when I was attacked by a dog
and my brother when in the presence of the pizza delivery man
Who needed me to sleep with him when he was too sick to climb to the bedroom
Who knew when I was sad
Who didn't know how long I'd been gone, but was so glad I was there now.
Who always ALWAYS got a slice of cheese

I remember his velvet ears, one straight up and one forever floppy.
I remember his silly, shaggy tail that curled up with long hair dripping down like a mane.
I remember his soft, never smelly or greasy, fur that would shed off in black cotton balls that were impossible to vacuum.
I remember how cute and tiny he looked the few times we ever got him shaved.
I remember his smart face that makes me always love shepherds the most.
I remember occasionally catching him jumping off the couch, which he wasn't supposed lie on. It was our secret.
I remember he would stand on his hind legs to greet and hug you when he was young and excited.
I remember the last time I saw him and I said goodbye to his cataract eyes and his bony body.
And I'm glad I wasn't there to see his final months of pain.

I will never love another animal as much as I love Barney.
Every time someone tells me they know the best dog, they're lying. I don't always say it--I don't want to be rude-- but Barney is the best dog. He is the best dog. The BEST dog.




4 comments:

Rebecca (mom) said...

Perfect ode to the perfect dog....thank you Blythe!

The Lady Me said...

Beautiful

Claire said...

Every dog should be loved like this.

Onlythemanager said...

I am sorry for your loss.