Friday, June 17, 2011

Rambling About Moving

This makes me feel good:



The only picture I took while my visitors were here. It's a pretty important one, probably.

We are really at the count down for moving now. I am going to start slowing trickling my things over to Corina's house so we don't have to move next weekend since July 1 is a Friday. Still don't have a place, but... hopefully after this weekend we will.

Amazingly, I'm not really procrastinating on the preparation. My room has been getting slowly cleaner and my things are getting slowly more organized. I am also slowly fighting the allegations that I owe my roommate a $125 cleaning fee. I talk about this stress daily to 3 key people in the hopes that I won't wimp out at the last minute. It might be a little premature to talk about it on here, but I just decided I don't care. Let me just tell you.

I have destroyed nothing in the apartment. There is zero damage. Except possibly the toilet, but (I know this is gross, but it's important) she doesn't let me flush the toilet after 11pm so shit (literally) just sits in there overnight. After a year, this has taken a toll. I refuse to pay for this.

I also did not give her a deposit and I did not sign a contract, we just learned. (Funny (to me) story-- 3 months ago, I would have sworn up and down that I hadn't signed a contract and I had DEFINITELY not received a copy of one. Yet a week ago, I could almost REMEMBER signing one. But thanks to cracked.com, I recently learned how easy it is to forge memories in your brain, and so remained completely torn. Learned two nights ago-- there is a contract that I have never seen nor signed. And it's like... 5 pages long. And I'm kind of pissed because she's been referring to said contract all year and I couldn't remember shit about it, but I didn't mention that because I wanted her to stop talking and leave me alone. I digress...).

Also, I looked up the California State landlord handbook and it said that:

A landlord cannot routinely charge each tenant for cleaning carpets, drapes, walls, or windows in order to prepare the rental unit for the next tenancy. instead, the landlord must look at how well the departing tenant cleaned the rental unit, and may charge cleaning costs only if the departing tenant left the rental unit (or a portion of it) less clean than when he or she moved in. Reasonable cleaning costs would include the cost of such things as eliminating flea infestations left by the tenant’s animals, cleaning the oven, removing decals from walls, removing mildew in bathrooms, defrosting the refrigerator, or washing the kitchen floor. but the landlord could not charge for cleaning any of these conditions if they existed at the time that the departing tenant moved in. in addition, the landlord could not charge for the cumulative effects of wear and tear. suppose, for example, that the tenant had washed the kitchen floor but that it remained dingy because of wax built up over the years. the landlord could not charge the tenant for stripping the built-up wax from the kitchen floor.


ANYWAY, I'm confident that I'm not wrong about this but I'm trying to make sure I'm not a dick about it either. I don't want to be a dick or a pushover. But if I have to choose, I want to be--against my entire personality and all precedence--the former.


But mostly I'm SO HAPPY that no matter what ends up happening, in 3 weeks, I will be writing entries of new freedom. My coworker, in a bummer-inducing moment, pointed out that the novelty of my new place will wear off quickly, and that I shouldn't put all my happiness eggs in that basket.


But I don't care. I'm gonna do it. And it WILL make me the happiest lady on earth forever and ever.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Umm, I think you SHOULD put all your happiness eggs in the apartment basket, because it's going to be SO MUCH BETTER! I bet it'll take a long time for the novelty to wear off.

The Lady Me said...

Um, I'm sorry, you couldn't flush your toilet after 11 pm?!?!? What kind of crazy psycho did you live with? This is ridiculous. I understand the fight between dick and pushover and generally, I choose pushover. But if you ever have any right to be a dick - this is it. I don't care how many decades separate the two of you. Just because she is closer to the grave doesn't give her the right to take away your dignity.