Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Desire to Escape Brought Back the Movie Section

Continuing the moving saga.

I seem to remember living in 4 separate apartments throughout my life, not counting dorms or my current situation, which falls more closely under the category of torture chamber (wild exaggeration I know, but you can't explain to people why you're moving and why you don't owe money for more than 20 days in a row without becoming irrationally bitter). However, I was wrong. Even including my current living conditions, I have actually been living in carefully controlled (mostly financially) living quarters that happens to have it's own kitchen and bathroom. Which is why I am bewildered at how much money I'm paying. Thank GOD my grandpa rightly overestimated the amount I'd need by more than 3x! Today I learned that I need to pay a deposit for electricity!! A $205 deposit. Plus a $20 service fee. Granted, it's split between two, but still! Also, while I have a parking space, they snuck in the fact that I have to buy the remote. There is no way to enter the garage without said remote. $25. Each. Plus, I still have the move, the refrigerator, the rent, and the internet to set up.

On the bright side, there is no shortage of people offering me crap. The person with the couch also offered me dishes with the ominous note: you should bring two cars. Two cars of dishes?!! I only expect a max of 5 people coming over to use dishes at any given moment... and my cooking skills would be stretched to capacity for sure.

I also collected a small bookshelf, a surface that I will use as a bedside table, and a lamp. There were more options, but I picked the lightest things that I felt would fit into my car because I'm far lazier than I am materialistic.

Our dream for a kitchen table is to find a cheap or free wooden one online and then paint it! Probably purple and aqua marine-- let's be real.

In movie news (I'm escaping hard this month, it seems):

Breaking Upwards. Netflix recommended. It was REALLY great!! VERY well written. I spotted zero flaws in the writing. The only criticism is that the guy comes off a smidgen gay, but REALLY that probably made me like it more.

Chasing Amy. Highly enjoyable. As always, it reaffirmed my belief that Kevin Smith is the Woody Allen of the 90s. Probably the most I've ever liked Ben Affleck. Also, probably the least predictable romantic comedy I've ever seen. Also, I've finally watched enough Kevin Smith movies to spot the references. They're pretty obvious, but I was still pleased.

3 comments:

Esha said...

i just watched chasing amy! and i felt the same way. i was also just in redbank and walked by all the stores they live next to. yay jersey!

Esha said...

also, hit up church sales. i bought a reaaaally pretty, kind of beat up table at one for $3!

The Lady Me said...

I hate all the hidden expenses! Ooof. Not looking forward to those. It's great that you have a bunch of people giving you things though!