Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pilots, mostly

I'm having a lotion obsession. Not just because of my $40 explosion at Bath and Body Works (one tube is nearly empty already. And I'm using two at a time!!), but also because my boss gave me a goody bag from some event that had bajillions of lotions in them. Lotion for your eyes, for the end of the day on your face, for the morning on your face, for you neck and chest. I already used to use face lotion, but this is a 12 minute regime (I haven't actually timed it so that's an approximation). So far, other than being uncomfortable when I'm not at least 50% moist, I haven't noticed much difference. Well, I also can't stop petting the bridge of my nose... it's so damn soft!! Mostly I'm impressed that I'm enjoying the routine. It didn't seem like something that would last, but I was just as surprised when I enjoyed regular blogging... a mere 8 years ago.

I may at least have to have the CONVERSATION regarding getting cable. Spending all of my spare time in cable-d houses has illuminated the possibility that it's irresponsible for me, being in this business, to not have cable. Mostly because even though I've been hearing about the same pilots for months and months and months, it wasn't until, for example, I saw the trailer for Ringer on TV that I was even REMOTELY interested. This is 100% because I realized that Ioan Gruffudd is in it. And I would never have known that without the trailers because I didn't formerly know his name. I was just in love with the "is there anyone alive out there!?" guy from Titanic.

Point #2 is that I WILL gravitate towards The Daily Show when I have cable at LEAST twice a week, if not all four times. And that makes me much more aware of the current world around me. Sure, I can watch the trailers and The Daily Show online, but at this moment, I never do. That's why I want to DISCUSS getting cable.

Anyway, because of the cable, I did watch a couple of pilots.

1. New Girl (aka the Zooey Deschanel one). Shmena, but I'm POSITIVE that no real opinion can be made from this pilot. It was super scattered, but it had potential. It could absolutely go either way.

2. Up All Night (Christina Applegate, Will Arnett, Maya Rudolph, Jennifer Hall, Nick Cannon) - I had the pleasure of watch the first cut of this pilot, as well as the final version. The changes included adding Nick Cannon, which needless to say seemed super ominous. It's actually super great though. The Cannon was sparse and Christina and Will and Maya are very human, HILARIOUS characters. This will fly, absolutely. Highly recommend.

3. Ringer (Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ioan Gruffudd) - Not my cup of tea, really. I might catch the next episode, but it's 0% funny so I just can't care that hard. Plus, the green screen moments are really really obvious. Also, Sarah has Elizabeth Harnois/Vampire syndrome. Does. Not. Age.

Pilots I'm interested in:
1. Free Agents (Hank Azaria) - I didn't pay much attention to this one and thus thought that this was about police agents. Nay. It's like... PR or something and it seems funny.
2. Two Broke Girls (Kat Dennings, Beth Behrs) - I kind of doubt I'm going to like this, but I really REALLY love Kat Dennings so I'm willing to try. Although I must say that the waitress outfit that she wears in the trailers is pretty unflattering to her.
3. Whitney - (Whitney Cummings) The trailer was funny but it may fall into a weird place in terms of her being a crazy wife-ish character.

Pilots I'm not really interested in:
1. Apartment 23 - I don't think Krysten Ritter can carry a show and I'm not liking the premise.
2. Last Man Standing (Tim Allen) - Seems like another Home Improvement. They kept emphasizing gender roles and how Tim Allen likes man things. Not an issue I struggle with or relate to... at least not as told by an old man in a sitcom. Plus, in the trailer he punctuated someone else's statement with "and beyond" in a Lightyear voice, which highlighted the hokey-ness.
3. I Hate My Teenage Daughter (Jamie Presley)- Instantly made me think of Reba, probs because of the accent. Also, the daughters are outrageously one-dimensional and the mom's are pathetic.
4. Good Christian Belles (Kristen Chenowith)- Probs going to be a Cougar Town kind of show, which is fine but just not for me. Also, it used to be called Good Christian Bitches, which sounds funnier to me (although I'd probably still not watch it).

Pilots I'm morbidly curious about:
1. Pan Am (Christina Ricci) - Obviously Christina hasn't done anything good since she was peaking in puberty, but I like Kelli Garner's face. It's probably not going to be funny enough and it might just be gratuitous hour (or half hour-- I'm not interested in looking up the length yet) of pretty women in stewardess outfits. Either way, I'm going to catch at least one episode of the Ricci.

And now just to brag, I got to go to the premiere of Chillerama at the Hollywood Cemetery last night. That will be the other thing I take people to when they visit along with Hamburger Mary's bingo. It's in the least scary cemetery ever that has gravestones of famous people with their faces on it. And then you sit in the grass with your picnic and wine and watch the movie outside (although I got a seat because I was in the VIP section (brag brag brag)). It was the campiest horror movie ever and it was fucking HILARIOUS. Intentionally hilarious. It was 3 movies together and just to give you an idea, they were call "Wadzilla" (about a killer sperm), "Wearbears" (about gay guys that turn into bears with leather chaps and eat people when they're turned on-- set in a 60s beach movie setting) and "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" (about Hitler making a Frankenstein-esque monster out of Jews--he obviously gets super killed by it).

:::::SPOILER:::::
And it ends in an EXTREMELY graphic zombie orgy.
:::::END SPOILER:::::

You'd think it would be difficult to watch next to my boss and two of our clients, but it wasn't. Hilarious!

Today I get to go an see a taping of Hot in Cleveland. That's the last of my bragging.

4 comments:

Chip Chip said...

I hate you. You and Betty White

(other) Claire said...

I am also guiltily interested in Pan Am, although I have zero time and probs can't watch it. So you'll have to let me know if it's good! Also your lotion obession is funny to me, because I am really not a lotion person, although I love buying shower gel at bath stores for some weird reason. I buy tons when they're on sale and I have soooo many!

Claire said...

I'm interested in Pan Am... but since I'm already watching Mad Men now I feel like I'm going to have old-timey overload or something. Though that's probably an irrational fear. Totally wanna see Up All Night. Did NOT enjoy the pilot of New Girl. And I HATED the first episode of Two Broke Girls. I love Kat Dennings, but I just thought that show was RETARDED. I hated her co-star and I thought the jokes were stupid. The only one I thought was kind of funny was about hipsters, and it went on waaay too long. It makes me sad that I didn't like it, though.

Oh! And I loved the first ep of Parenthood this season. SO happy Jason Ritter is back.

Claire said...

Oh, oh! And I kind of wanna see Ringer... but only because I love Sarah Michelle Gellar in theory. The premise itself doesn't really appeal to me that much. But since it's right after 90210 and right before Parenthood, I bet I'll watch it. Tuesday will be my big TV night. (Yes, I watch 90210 like it's my job... it's kind of sad.)