Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dooped by the RN

Caught myself a cold. Actually it happened a while ago (LIKELY the Tuesday/Wednesday before Thanksgiving, when I sucked in heavy doses of air from strangers during my 13 hours of public transport), but it hasn't really been an issue until recently when I lost my voice on Sunday. And it was only SLIGHTLY better on Monday. And it wasn't much different today. And I only care because my LAST Chords concert is on Friday and I'll be DEVASTATED if I can't sing in it. DEVASTATED!!

Thus, I conceded to go to the doctor. I don't typically think of myself as being afraid of the doctor, but I KNOW I'm not taking good care of myself, and I don't like having to be really honest about what I put my poor body through. I don't sleep "right." I don't eat "right." I sit in my room in the cold for hours and hours... not "right." I ran out of my advanced inhaler about... 1.5 years ago and haven't pursued a new one... and I just ran out of my run-of-the-mill inhaler... and wasn't fully planning on getting a new one of those either. Not "right" (and you obviously know that my quotations are implying my denial). I don't even wear a jacket. I don't even OWN a jacket (although I really DO believe that that's fine-- I'm quite toasty in my duel-sweatshirt-action). There may or may not be other unhealthy things that I omit because I'm REALLY in denial.

ANYWAY, I decided to go to the doctor because my desire to sing outweighed my fear of being scolded. It wasn't TERRIBLE. Although I think it's because after we had a tiff over me not owning a thermometer and not refilling some inhalers, I told my doctor essentially everything I wrote in the previous paragraph (hopefully I omitted some of it, but I blacked out and have no idea what my exact words were).

Turns out I have some sort of lingering post-nasal drip (wha?) and I was prescribed a variety of crap. As I was swiping my credit card for my near-$50 purchase of cures, I felt an incredible sense of resentment. After all, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to sing on Friday, and my illness is going to fade EVENTUALLY if I take nothing at all. Lame.
I had BETTER be able to sing on Friday or I will not only be broke and devastated-- I'll be PISSED! What am I supposed to do with an entire bottle of saline nasal spray?

In other news, I watched Mulholland Drive today. I'm SOOOO glad I got to watch it in my film class, because otherwise I'd just think it was obnoxious. But after we discussed it for an hour, I sort of thought it was brilliant. Although... not enough to watch it again, probably (and when I say that I mean not until 3 years from now when I'll NEED to watch it again).

Last week I was alls about the Christmas. We listened to some tunes on the way back from Thanksgiving. Then I watched You've Got Mail (I REALLY like that movie and resent that people don't appreciate it because it's a romantic comedy. Just like Runaway Bride-- not enough credit for those films, I think). Then The Family Stone. But then I promptly forgot about the holidays when I rediscovered sims and Sex and the City. Gotta get back on the wagon, or shall I say SLEIGH!
Plus I have to start thinking (worrying) about gifts.

Maybe I'll just wait until I have lungs of steel again.

Are we not having any Christmas-themed movies this season? Am I forgetting one? Not that I'm complaining... just wondering.

No comments: