Thursday, December 3, 2009

Some Reflection

Well I WOULD go on and on about the absurdity of 68 degrees in December, but as everyone experienced that, I feel I should move on.
But seriously....

So the end of the semester is coming at warp speed. Things are getting too scary to put off-- although I'm still doing it... so I'm in a constant state of self-inflicted panic. I'm also having random surges of fear about never seeing people again. Awkward when it happens as I'm walking down the street and suddenly I get the uncontrollable frowny face before you cry.

ANYWAY ANYWAY, on the upside, I've realized that I need to make a 10 hour playlist for my solo trip back home. This is the only thing that I'm NOT procrastinating on. I think the trick is going to be predicting, not the music and comedy that I want on the playlist, but rather the order in which I'm going to want to hear it. For instance, at what point am I going to want to listen to the entire soundtrack of The Nightmare Before Christmas? Is that going to be a pumped-for-the-trip first few hours sort of a listen ... or is that the 7th hour when I'm crazy from the redundancy and solitude of my task. Hard to say... but I LOVE thinking about it. In fact, if you see me walking down the street, brow furrowed in deep thought, you can safely guess that I'm thinking about my playlist order. Expect updates on this matter.

Today, as I was preparing to go to work (putting on the second sweatshirt-- unforeseeable mistake), I realized that I was going to finish my other Bridget Jones and I needed a new book. Suddenly I felt compelled to read Ella Enchanted again, even though it's a child's book. So I dug through all of my stuff to get the book, but when I finally found it, I just couldn't BEAR to think of reading it in public. Too embarrassing. Especially since it is SUPER tattered from multiple, MULTIPLE readings-- some parts were, in fact, memorized in their hay day. I picked up The Perks of Being a Wallflower, because at this point I was running late (/5 minutes early, which in my mind is late)... but then I decided not to start it because I JUST read it in September... so it really seems far too soon.

In regards to this, two things occurred me:
1. I need a new book. But I want a funny one... or one that's so compelling that I'll read it easily... and I don't know who to ask for a recommendation. That's your cue, readers! (imaginary readers?)
2. How come I can wear the same goddamn thing every single day, but I can't bear to read a child's book in front of others-- especially when odds are, no one is going to see what I'm reading anyway! Self-illuminating experience.

Also, I was looking up pictures of Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake (procrastinating) and... I think we are VERY ready for them to do a collaborative song. It would be the next "Single Ladies" in popularity, I think. So.... let's make that happen.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I honestly can't think of any funny books... but I am rereading "The Likeness" by Tana French, and that is one of my favorite books EVER. It's a mystery, but it's really much more well-written and much more of a literary story than your average mystery novel. Though "In the Woods" was her first book and technically comes before this one... and that was really, really good too. I don't know how much you're into mystery, and they're both kind of sad, but like I said, it's much more than just a mystery story. So maybe check those out! And if you want to borrow One or the other I could lend it to you over winter break (though I know that's a while away). And I also need to give you back "Me Talk Pretty" sometime... since I've had it for like two years... sorry...

And I can't WAIT to hear about this epic playlist!