Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Whole Lot About The Cougar

Today I made an effort specifically to watch The Cougar, which is a TVLand reality show like The Bachelor except it's an older woman (40) and younger guys (20s). Now, I've been watching the show for a while, which I started because it comes on very late at night (not much competition). In fact, it's a little weird because I would not consider myself an avid reality show watcher... although I certainly don't have a problem with them... and they are captivating. Nevertheless, this is the first time that I've known The Cougar was coming on and REALLY wanted to watch it.

I know that The Cougar is probably the lamest of all the reality shows I could watch, but what I like about it is that the main girl... well woman... is NOT extremely ostentatious or anything. Like... when someone says something foolish, she doesn't make a face or anything. She doesn't even really remark on it. She's very polite and she seems pretty real. And she isn't terribly dramatic... although now she's getting a little emotional... but I'm still with her. And she chooses the people that I would choose. Also, she's very pretty, but she DOES NOT look botox-y or anything. I'm not saying she hasn't had work done, but I would believe it if she said she hasn't... and if she has, it was tasteful. Also, the tasks that the guys have to do are sometimes silly, which I forgive because... it IS television... but they aren't things that are like "why would you make them do that??!!"

So every time I watch the show, I feel conflicted and here's why. On the one hand, I'm right with Stacy, making decisions with her, finding things out about these men. But the other part of me feels like I'm being played the fool. If I watch a sitcom, I can rest assured that my thoughts about a character are correct. The camera is omniscient and I can trust that the camera caught everything that I need to know about these people. If someone has an outburst, I know that about their character. If someone has troubles with their parents... I know when it's relevant. But in a reality show, I WANT to be there making the decisions, and despite myself, I become very interested and opinionated, but then I have to stop myself because they are real people... and ... their entire lives DO play a factor into this story, but neither I nor the camera knows about it. It's too complex and when I watch it, I can't help but think about how I don't really know all the information at play. Basically, when I watch the finale of Friends and see that Ross and Rachael are together again, I trust that they will be happy and that it was best for them. The show doesn't lie. But if Stacy chooses my favorite person (Colt), it's irrelevant because in the end it's all just an entertainment sham. And I know that shouldn't bother me... but it does.

What I think I would enjoy more (maybe...?):
1. If they had more awareness of the camera. Like... I'd like to here someone go on the show and say EXACTLY why they are there... taking into account that there must be a reason why they want to do this on TV.

2. I would like less competition and more personal fun time. Like... how can I choose the right man for her when I really don't know anything about her other than she likes younger guys? And I need to know the same things about the guys. What movies do they like? What do they talk about when they aren't talking about the future or their personal history? Not things like "I like to play music." I want to hear what they joke about. Do they watch the news? Politics. Quirks. Maybe religion (although that might be too much for TVLand). Then someone wouldn't have to fuck up to get pushed out. They could just not mesh as well... which is legitimate.

2b. In the same vain, I would like all the guys to be able to hang out with her for a whole day... or maybe half a day or something. I know there are budget issues. And I know that it would be an extremely long episode. I don't care.

3. I would like them to not pretend that they are instantly into her. And I would like all the guys to have a specific opportunity all the time to leave if they want. People should be regularly leaving, I think. There would be drama in that if she liked someone and they left because they weren't feeling it...

4. I would like the cameramen to be a part of the show so that the people could be more relaxed. Like... maybe the guys all sit around, having a chat, the cameramen put in their two cents. Or maybe the guys hold the cameras. Hmmm. I just would like things to sound less like they are off of queue cards. I just don't know how to make non-actors do that.

I know that this isn't realistic because it wouldn't make good television. Also, it's pretty clear that I should probably not worry about it and just stick to scripted sitcoms... because even with all my adjustments, I probably still wouldn't trust the show. Plus, I'm pretty sure my adjustments would make the show only appeal to people who have the patience for The Sims. That is, the patience to just watch people live regularly (instead of actually doing it...?). Wah-wah.

Anyway, I am home.
And David Cross left halfway through the show my mom was at.

No comments: