Sunday, August 2, 2009

Jobs, Pork, Dreams, and Movies

Tomorrow I think I'll go on a quest to find more money. Be it quickie jobs or ACTUAL jobs. A new Panera Bread is opening on Comm Ave. and I was thinking that might be good because I LOVE sandwiches! Although I've never worked in food before... but I HAVE been a cashier and I KIIIIND of prepared food in the movie theater. The only thing is that I REEEEAAAALLLY don't want to go back to a schedule that switches week to week... but that COULD be too picky. I can't decide if that's a reasonable desire or if my decadence has gotten to me ("decadence" being my new preferred term to my lengthy stretch of lazy). It's just that that's where the stress comes from... not knowing. PLLLUUUUUS I could wait until the school year and get a job at the dining hall which I KNOW are regular hours... but I'd kind of like to do something for August. BUUUUUUT now I could technically get a job that involves DRIVING! (Although I absolutely don't think I will or should. Scaarry!)

Today my desire for pork chops grew to such gigantic proportions that I decided to make my dream come true. 
THEY TURNED OUT GREAT!!! Plus I only used a concoction (using zero measuring of ingredients) of what I had in the house: butter, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese (left from Vanessa's reign), pepper, and some olive oil... all of which I'm sure could be compromised. And obviously the pork chops, which cost me $2.49 for two. Brilliant. Move over chicken! Pork chops in da HOOUSE!

Last night I had a dream in which I was walking through the mall with Stephen Colbert and Elena... I guess around Christmas time. Elena was leading the way and I talked to Stephen, a few paces behind her, who wasn't his character but actually exactly the way I imagine him to be in real life. As we were walking we passed a store with Christmas ornaments that had his face on them... but I knew they were a few years old and were made for The Daily Show (he DID have The Colbert Report in my dream). I asked him, and I almost remember word for word (which is WEIRD for a dream) "I know this is the point (I giggle) but how did you design the Christmas ornaments so that they look good enough to buy but are still cheap enough to make a profit?" Then I giggle again and tell him never mind and not to answer. Only now do I remember that it's funny because Jon Stewart would especially not sell Christmas ornaments as he is Jewish.

Then the three of us went into this little empty boutique-ish store and Elena sat on the floor several places ahead of Stephen and me, who sat on these steps in the middle of the room. Then a whole crowd of people sat several places behind us on bleachers. Then a woman in a suit skirt, blazer, heels, severe glasses and a bun came out and a screen lowered on the wall behind her. The lights dimmed and WATER rose up past our laps, as though we were sitting in a hot tub (although I do not recall the temperature of the water). Then she started teaching us all some sort of lesson, but I didn't really listen because Stephen and I whispered jokes to each other throughout. 

Then I'm walking outside with Elena in the early evening (I guess Stephen left) and it's slightly snowing. As I'm crossing the street to get to my apartment I meet this girl, Felicia, who went to my middle school and high school but I don't think I've talked to her since 7th grade. We make awkward small talk in the middle of the street (?). Then Elena and I get to the apartment and there's a crowd around the door next door and the main girl from Hairspray/ host of Dance Your Ass Off was lying on the ground crying. So I guess we talked to her awkwardly for like... 1 second. Then we look over to my door and Caroline is lying against my door and she looks kind of like someone beat her or something. Not bleeding, but not really focusing and dirty and stuff. So I unlock the door and Elena goes in. I pick up Caroline, look awkwardly back at the Hairspray girl, questioning in my head whether I should bring her in too, but ultimately don't. Then, as I'm groping for the lights in the apartment (that I don't recognize but was mine in the dream), holding Caroline slumped over my shoulder, I wake up.

Weird.

MOVIE SECTION:

Heart and Souls: I've been going through a reasonable love for Robert Downey Jr. for quite a while and I originally picked this movie a because I THOUGHT, from a thumbnail of the cover, that it was the movie with Cybill Shepherd and Mary Stewart Masterson where Downey Jr. is the reincarnated husband of Cybill but dating Mary but somehow his soul-memory or something didn't get erased. Hilarity and confusion ensue. I've already seen it, but only on TV and I was ready for a second viewing (it's ACTUALLY called Chances Are, if you're curious).

ANYWAY this is not that. Buuuut considering the limited amount of movies in the funny, silly afterlife genre, it's weird that Downey Jr. is in two. BUUUUUT I really liked it! Not one that I would totally recommend unless you really like movies like Back to the Future, Groundhogs Day, Ghostbusters, Defending Your Life etc etc... which I do. Buuuut I think Downey Jr. does a great job of embodying four distinct other personalities... buuuuut I think the sun shines out his ass, so...

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer: I picked this because it was a movie when Shirley Temple is older (plays 17) and... I was just curious. Also, Cary Grant was in it, who I don't think is incredibly attractive but at the same time... I really do. I WOULD have turned it off after 10 minutes, but then I wouldn't be able to say I saw it... so I followed through. Not worth seeing. I THIIIINK the rule of thumb is that if it's an old movie and you haven't heard of it... it obviously didn't stand the test of time and is thus... not good. BUUUUUUT it's from 1947 and the main lady was a judge, which I thought was pretty nice. 

One more thing, but they DID repeat this little dialogue:
One: You remind me of the man.
Two: What man?
One: The man with the power.
Two: What power?
One: The power of hoodoo. 
Two: Who do?
One: You do. 
Two: Do what?
One: You remind of the man. 
(Two: What man?
etc. etc.)

Recognize? It's the beginning of "Dance Magic Dance" in The Labyrinth (with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly). Except in that song it's "you remind me of the babe."  and they say "voodoo" instead of "hoodoo" (which makes less sense...) And it's between Bowie with HUUUGE 80s hair, a pirate shirt, and spandex pants... and Jim Henson puppets... 
Actually, it's totally worth watching! (quit after 2 minutes if you tire of the clip... the beginning is what's important) I'm REAAALLY attracted to Bowie in this, which I can only assume has to do with his INCREDIBLY sexy speaking voice... and maybe his whip and spandex? ... I ... don't know... I kind of hope not...
Also, in The Labyrinth clip (movie) the baby's name is Toby, which I really think is the perfect baby boy name for a movie... because it's such a gentle little name. Although as soon as yellow stops being gender neutral for a child, that's when the name Toby doesn't work so much... that's why it's good only for fictional movie baby boys (apologies to boys you know named Toby... and Toby Maguire).

ANYWAY ANYWAY!
A Room with a View: Obviously one of the period pieces that is commonly referenced. Pluuus Helena Bonham Carter, Maggie Smith, and Daniel Day-Lewis... hellz yeah! LOVED IT! I'll definitely watch that one again. I think I especially liked it because everyone had very distinct, but not necessarily cliche, personalities. For instance, the mother mentioned that she wouldn't like the wrong sort of people to move in near them... so in my mind I was like "here we go with the crazy uptight bitch mom" but then she was perfectly lovable! And the guy she was engaged to really liked books and read a lot and stuff... and he was stuffy and ... if he lived now I would assume he was gay. So in my mind I was like "he's going to prevent her from doing something... stifle her." But he didn't. He was perfectly fine with her doing what she needed, but you STILL preferred the other guy. That's my favorite love conflict, when the lady protagonist is with someone who isn't really bad at all but you KNOW she loves and should be with the other guy... it's ESPECIALLY good if he's MORE flawed than the non-love. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of The Notebook and Sweet Home Alabama. I just like it because it's more true-lovey... if one guy is a douche and one's great, where's the conflict?

ANYWAY IIIII think it's also worth noting that brother, Freddie, in A Room with a View is SUPER awesome!! AAAAnd if it makes any difference, and to some I know it does, there is penis in this movie!

Also I STARTED to watch Stagedoor because it said that Robert Downey Jr., Natalie Portman, Felicity Huffman, and Jennifer Jason Lee were in it (the former two obviously being the catalyst to my interest and the latter two being fringe). Weeeell it was a documentary about a musical theater camp and none of the above people were in it at all for the first 10 minutes. So I realized I was being tricked into watching it... just as I was tricked into watching the Pete Seeger documentary because I thought Bob Dylan would be in it... although that was a blessing in disguise and I could see that this would not be (although I obviously cannot know for sure because... I only watched 10 minutes). So go ahead and watch it if you wish... but don't be fooled!


No comments: