Friday, August 14, 2009

MRI Journey and LOTR -- Epic Both

So yesterday was the Harvard MRI study thing... which is honestly the only thing I've had to think about being on time for in... an embarrassingly long time. Naturally I set all of my alarms for 9:30am in order to be there for my 12:15pm appointment. 

Weeeeell I obviously couldn't (didn't) sleep because ... well I'm not going to go through it anymore. I just didn't. Around 7:15am I took a shower and then decided I was going to sleep until 10:15am because I wanted to run a quick errand before I left. So right before I decided to go to sleep, I remembered that I should put the last Lord of the Rings on my netflix queue (because I'd just gotten, watched, and returned the second one). So I go to the site and it turns out I could watch the last one INSTANTLY. So then I had to make a choice. Do I use self control and take a nap before my appointment? Or do I forgo self control and watch as much of the movie as I can. I'm not proud to admit that I did the latter. AAAAAAND I HAD been watching the theatrical versions of the first two, so they were about 3 hours long... a little less. BUUUUUT I could only watch the EXTENDED version of the third, which was about 4 hours and 20 minutes.... so I only got half-way through before I had to leave. 
It was worth it. 

Anyway, the study gave me VERY explicit instructions to the place, and you only have to turn ONE TIME. AAAAAND they gave me a map, which I drew on a piece of paper. 
I end up getting to the Harvard T stop at 11:15am... which doesn't surprise me, obviously. I'm pretty much always early to such things.

So I'm on the street and there's kind of a fork in the road but according to the map, you can take either side... but the line they made goes through the right side. So I WANTED to go to the right side but there wasn't any sidewalk and it was a busy road. So I decided to go left. And I ended up on the street I was supposed to be on. So good. 

But then I'm walking and I feel like I'm going WAY too far. It stopped really looking like Harvard and on the map it seemed like a MUCH shorter walk and they said it was 15 minutes and I'd been walking 15 minutes without even making the turn. And all I can think is "damn it, Blythe. Why don't you EVER know where you're going?!" Honestly, I feel like an Amelia Bedelia type character. The same shit happens all the time and you're like "AMELIA! Come on! Why would would someone want you to draw a PICTURE of the curtains! Think!" I feel like a kid reading The Adventures of Lost Blythe would be like "BLYTHE! Damn it! Can't you just take the non-sidewalk route! You KNOOOW you're going to get lost if you don't follow the EXACT directions! You ALWAYS do!!" 

So I keep going for a while because I don't want to have just not gone far enough, but FINALLY I turn around. Although I do stop in a Rite Aid for water (even though I only have $7 to my name)... and I get concerned that I'm going to turn the wrong way out of the store so when I go in, I repeat in my head "turn right. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right." Yeah. I'm that serious about this problem! And when I get to the water section, this middle aged white woman is on her knees looking for something in the refrigerator. Whatever. I open my door to grab the water (thankfully $.99) and then woman turns to me and, with distain, says "not much of a selection here, is there?" I smile and nod, but in my head I call her a consumerist bitch. Not fair, I know. I'm a consumer too. But I'm prejudiced against her demographic and also who gives a fuck if your favorite juice brand isn't there! Jesus Christ!
(I hope I'm not becoming an angry person.)

So on my way back I see a police officer and I ask him where the street is. Turns out, it was perfectly fine for me to take the sidewalk route. And the street was exactly where it should have been. The issue? I can't even believe it when I say that I was simply distracted by the cranes doing construction on that corner. They were the REEEEAAALLY tall ones, 3x the size of the trees. Apparently, I couldn't redirect my attention for even a second to look at the street sign. DAMN IT!! I'll bank that for my Lost Blythe children's series I guess...

INCREDIBLY ironically, the entire Harvard study was about navigating through a virtual world! HAHA!!

The DOUBLE irony is that the woman told me she was amazed at how well I did!! Honestly, so was I. Although I'm apparently one of the first people to do it.. and I wouldn't be at ALL shocked if I end up being one of the worst navigators in the study.  

Also, I just have to mention that despite my directional failure, I was still just over 20 minutes early for the appointment. I'm the most predictable person on the planet!

Also at the end I just had to be in the MRI for two separate 6 minute stretches while just keeping my eyes open, blinking regularly, and trying to keep my head really still. I'll tell you what. Six minutes, for me, is a very long time to be horizontal in the dark without falling asleep. DOUBLE six minutes... nearly impossible. It almost killed me. 

So after I left, I was unBELIEVABLY tired and also pretty nauseous (from the study... they expected it).... and so I fell asleep on the T, which was awkward. Then I thought that I would be wide awake when I got back, because that's always the way it seems to go. You're on the verge of dying and then when you get to a point where you CAN sleep, you're up for another 8 hours. 
Not this time!
I passed out around 3:45pm, right when I got home. I set my alarm for 5pm but slept until 2:15am. Then I watched the end of the Lord of the Rings and some other things afterwardsAnd now it's 6:25am... so we'll see what happens. 

But before I go to sleep... or stay awake... or eat something... 

The Lord of the Rings: The first one I liked (which I already wrote about). And then second one I liked better. And I REEEEEEEEEALLLY liked the third one. And now I wonder why I didn't watch the extended version of all of them! Well... I don't wonder.. I know exactly why. I usually watch theatrical versions because extended versions usually just have the bad scenes (or not as worthwhile scenes) mixed in and it makes the movie drag. If I'd had the foresight... or faith... I would have realized that the extended versions would just have WAY more information that would help to understand the story better. They just can't put a 5 hour movie into a theater.... or not in a REGULAR theater... I think they DID do showings of the whole thing in all it's extended glory after they were all out. 

So I have to go back and watch the extended stuff. But not now. Buuuuut I thought it was awesome!! The fact that they even made extended versions tells you how much passion they put into those movies. Veeery awesome. Very respectable. Plus they DID have a kick ass girl, which was also great!! And they didn't make it TOO weird and cheesy for her. Although she obviously didn't get the Viggo character (that's not giving anything away because you knew she wouldn't). But ... Liv was HOT. There was no scooting around that. And I'm sorry to say that I preferred her to the kick ass one because of it. 

Also, this series in the only one in which I like Orlando Bloom. He's not overstated... and I really liked the long white mane... AAAND there were a few times when I was very excited about him being on screen... which was great given my pretty strong prejudice against him. By the end, I was going crazy with excitement when he was defeating this elephant thing. It was awesome.

More importantly, I was so impressed by the different worlds they created. Everything was super beautiful but the elf world was very DISTINCTLY different from the big stone human city. And those were different from the rabbit-y atmosphere of the hobbit shire. There were like... a hundred very detailed and very majestic places in the movie. Veeery impressive. 

So after years of making excuses to not see the movies... I really did enjoy them. I'm not even a LITTLE surprised. I think I could read the books now. 

Anyway, if I had the means... boy would I be in the theater every day. Well... at least for 4 days. I REEEAAALLY want to see 
1) 500 Days of Summer
2) The Time Travelers Wife
3) Funny People
4) Julie and Julia

And if I was rolling in it, I would also like to see The Hurt Locker... which I heard was the war movie to surpass all war movies. It's supposed to be AMAZING. But... I don't really love war movies. I'm almost positive it would be one where if I saw Funny People in theaters and then later saw The Hurt Locker on netflix, I'd be like "damn it!! Why didn't I use my theater time for something that could really USE a theater!!?" Isn't it funny when foresight is 20/20... but you still pretend you're blind? 
Maybe not...

No comments: