Sunday, August 9, 2009

Movies and Words on Greed

I think today I only have movies to talk about. Except that I did inquire about a job... so we'll see. 

La Vie en Rose: Not to be mistaken with Ma Vie en Rose (about a 7-year-old boy who is a girl inside). No, this is the biopic about Edith Piaf, the french singer, for which Marion Cotillard won the Oscar. I have to say... that if there was a best actress Oscar for all roles of all time forever and ever... she might win. I just don't think another soul in the world could have done that. AMAZING! And I'm so glad I watched Love Me If You Dare first, because she's just kind of a normal girl in that movie... so it allows you to kind of guess what she's like in real life. Like the way she really walks and talks and stuff... because when you watch this, even her YOUNG self is just ... a comPLETELY different person! And then she becomes older and it's just... unbeLIEVable. 

Although, there is really no reason the movie should be called La Vie en Rose. She sings it, but it really has no significance at all. I'm PRETTY sure they just used that because they wanted Americans to know that it's French, and that's the only French phrase that Americans are familiar with. When I say American... that could encompass more people... but the name of the movie is different in French. It's called La Mome (because I THINK they called her La Mome Piaf-- the sparrow kid... or something like that in English... the little sparrow?... the French would obviously get it right away, I assume). 

Anyway anyway. After the movie, I listened and tried to sing to one of her songs for like... 30 minutes. I think it's called "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" or... you know... whatever. Ok moving on. 

Step Brothers: I mean... I didn't really like it. Of course, who am I? Plus, if it was like... a student film... I'd think it was a hilarious work of genius. So...

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Well it WAS pretty awesome. Although it was CLEARLY a first of three... Like... you really couldn't just watch one. But visually it was amazing. The creators clearly tried MUCH harder on this than the creators of Harry Potter did. I don't WANT to be an asshole on this... but I'm a little disappointed with the lack of women in the film. But I guess that's what Tolkien had and there's nothing to be done about it. 

One message that I really like from the story is the idea of greed. I mean... not just of people being greedy and wanting the ring... but also they went into these mines and they mentioned that the mine was scary because the dwarfs greedily went too far down into the mine and they unleashed dark shadows... something like that. I just think that is not a very American, capitalist message and... we're all the worse off for it. 

I was talking with a friend earlier this summer and we were talking about... some show about rich kids or something... one of those reality shows. I told my friend that I thought NO ONE deserves to have that much money. NO ONE deserves to have so much money that THEY couldn't spend it in their one lifetime. Because really... it's just creating a sort of aristocracy. If you pass all that money to your kid, then your kid either doesn't have to work, or they have such an advantage in schooling and jobs and they can fund any project that... because of their luck, they leave other people by the wayside. Now I GET that that's how capitalism works... that people are encouraged to be innovative and work as hard as they can so that they can have money. If there wasn't financial incentive, we probably wouldn't have all the THINGS we have now. I get that. Buuuuut for someone to earn $500 million! That's absurd! NO ONE deserves that.... at least in my opinion. No one even deserves $50 million. Maybe $15 million. They did something great and their reward can be to never work again.

But my friend and I got... almost into a fight about this. She thought that people absolutely deserved their money if they earned it. My argument is that you're not EARNING it at all. You do something great and you put in some hard work... and yes... maybe you can get an advantage over all other people. Sure. But it's also LUCK. It's not like you personally did the job of 1,000,000 people and deserve all of their salaries. And if you did... that's greedy anyway.... but also... no one could. And... not to be a complete ass towards her opinion, but I think that we accept that people make so much because we think... maybe III could too. Maybe IIII could end up with that much money. But that's greedy and rude and absurd. And we're all taught that if we don't have everything in the world that we want, then we aren't working hard enough. And on some level that's true. If all you want in the world is a horse... then yes. Work hard enough and you can most likely get it. But if what you want is a jillion dollars... that isn't even a want. That's just miscellaneous greed. Right?

Anyway, I just appreciated The Lord of the Rings take on it. You don't mine as far as you can. That's greedy. You take what you need. Just like Native Americans (or whatever we're calling them now). Just like my dad, who I REALLY admire, who told his work that he doesn't need more money. He needs more time to live. 

Awesome. 

Posted a little later: Something I forgot to mention about Lord of the Rings that ... isn't really that important... But in this kind of movie especially, it always reminds me of how weak I feel like I would be. I mean... their journey was crazy enough as it was... but during some parts I was like... I would SERIOUSLY kill myself. Like they're in these mines and they just see skeletons EVERYWHERE and they're just trying to get out but it's a four day passage... but it's like this HUUUUUGE place with skeletons. And then one of the hobbits makes a noise and then there's silence for a second and then they just hear these slow, HUGE thumps... like clearly something's coming. I would kill myself. I wouldn't be able to a LITTLE bit handle it! I'd either kill myself or try DESPERATELY to hide. I'd probably hide and kill myself in the hiding place. Seriously. It's one thing if you're attacked in the middle of the forest and you didn't get the chance to think about it and so it's you and your adrenaline and you're own self-preservation fighting... not a bit of your mind. But if you're basically smelling doom, and in my case surely on the verge of killing yourself to begin with, and then you hear huge thumps... that's it! Case closed! I probably wouldn't even have to kill myself. My heart would crap out with fear. 

No comments: