Friday, August 7, 2009

Mostly the Moneys

So today, first of all, I got an appointment to do this study at Harvard for next Thursday and I get $50 for doing the appointment and then $50 for doing a 2-hour questionnaire (doesn't that spelling look weird... but it's right. Why is "millionaire" only ONE N?). So AWESOME! And a little bit thank God. ALTHOUGH they send you the check in the mail... so I hope I don't starve before then. 
(Small disclaimer: I KNOOOOW the money thing is my fault... so don't take it as complaining... or do but know that I know I've been an absolute fool and the punishment DOES fit the crime... and it IS kind of fun and adventurous making anti-starving decisions.)

Anyway, I decided to take all of my bottles to get the $.05 back for them... and I have a LOT... a few soda bottles and more beer bottles because... I literally haven't recycled anything since before my birthday, and I've had a few people over since then.

First of all, they were QUITE heavy to carry. I guess a shit-ton of glass WOULD be... but whatever. So I get there and got $.55 for the soda bottles. Then I do the beer bottles and none of them work. They all say that the store doesn't accept the brand... but some of the brands I bought IN the store. But they have a little phone that lets you call the front desk if you need assistance, which is very nice. You don't have to go up, lugging bottles, to get help. 

Well I don't WANT to be pissed off by this, but I am. They sent down a mentally challenged guy to help me. Now, I don't have a problem with mentally challenged people working at a grocery store. In fact, I think it's awesome and they do a great job. The people I've worked with were always friendly and very proud and it was great. Whatever whatever. This kid really couldn't help me at all. He told me that maybe they only took the bottles they sold and that they didn't sell alcohol here... which... is quite untrue. They have an entire alcohol section. He suggested that I call the manager of the company that programs the machines. Damnit! 

Obviously I just thanked him. I mean.. it was PROBABLY only like $2 worth of bottles (which in my head is nearly 6 pork chops on sale... or nearly a can chicken corn chowder soup), BUUUUT I planned on buying some things at the store and I didn't want to lug around a heavy bag of bottles. In fact, I didn't even want to have to carry them home and find another way of disposing them without tampering too much with my conscience. Well.... I'm a LITTLE ashamed to say that I just left the bag by the machines.... BUUUUT I'm not going to feel too guilty because 1. maybe the machines somehow DO accept the bottles and someone else will get my $2. Or more likely the store will dispose of them... but I think it's much easier for them, with all of their trash disposing equipment, to get rid of the bottles... it probably wouldn't even piss off the person who's taking care of it (but I actually DO feel a LITTLE guilty). 

By the way, later I considered that maybe they sent the mentally challenged kid down because no one would yell at him. I mean... it's kind of a situation where someone with a hotter temper might get angry right away and start making demands and raising their voice etc. Although I HIGHLY doubt that they would put so much thought into it.... but maybe. 

More embarrassingly, I DID go to the front counter and ask to redeem my little receipt for $.55.... it seemed QUITE sad... but I really wanted it. 

Also, yesterday I suddenly had this INCREDIBLE craving for cheese curls. Like... a LOT. Cravings are so strange because my cravings are OFTEN for things that I wouldn't think twice about... like curry or like an oatmeal cookie. Usually I prefer pad thai over curry. Usually I prefer chocolate chip over oatmeal. And in this case, usually I prefer any sort of chip over cheese curls. But whatever. But I went into the grocery store and I thought... no I can't spend $2.50 on cheese curls (I know... cry me a river... I'm ashamed of myself)...BUUUUT as I'm walking to get some cheese, I pass an entire display of cheese curls! On sale! For $1!!! Fate. 
I'm currently enjoying said curls. 

Last night I watched the first disk of Freaks and Geeks, which OBVIOUSLY was AMAZING! I knew I would love it because everyone in the world thinks it's brilliant... and while I think that I sometimes differ quite dramatically with other people on movie preference, I find that I share the same taste in television quite a bit. I mean... except crime shows, which I really don't find that fun... although maybe I just haven't given them enough of a chance. 

ANYWAY, the show is awesome, and as predicted, I'm QUITE sad that I have to wait for the next disks. Plus, since I switched to one disk at a time, it's going to take even longer. Especially if I can't persuade myself to give up Love Me If You Dare in a timely manner. Plus I keep having an internal battle over whether I'm actually going to watch Lord of the Rings or return it without watching it so I can get something I'm more interested in. I feel like I HAVE to watch it because I'm PROBABLY going to like it, and if I return it, I may never borrow it again. It's just SUCH a commitment and I'm never in the mood. Plus, what happens if/when I watch it and then I'm obsessed and then I can't decide if I want to use my one disk on Freaks and Geeks or the next Lord of the Rings?
(Could I BE anymore unbelievably whiny about my awesome life??!!)

No comments: