Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Seductive Powers of Bed, Bath, and Beyond

Big week, this week.

I'm not going to break it down day by day because I know that's always an especially boring read. But I will say that I have a TV comedy midterm paper and oral presentation, my supervisor appointment, my LA application, a paper for healthcare sociology, film studies midterm, a Chords concert to perform in, a Hanson concert to go to, a viewing of Citizen Kane during Chords rehearsal, and cupcakes to sell. PACKED. Maybe that's how your weeks regularly are... but umm... not for me.

So... lame. Also I bought season 5 of The Office (I do not judge myself) which has already arrived and is BEGGING me to watch it! AND I got the last of the David Sedaris books that I have not read (I thought I'd already done that, but to my blissful surprise I found one from 2005 that I missed). Then I got a book written by Amy AND David Sedaris which... I may wet my pants over! These haven't come in yet (more intervention from the heavens, I imagine), but I am going to be very surprised if they don't make their way to me before my academic coast is clear.

I feel pretty good because I'm choosing to see next week as my payment for the week of sloth that I just had. Not sloth like the summer, but I truly did very very little this past week.

Today I bought a travel mug. I've been thinking about it for a while but I really didn't want to get one that wasn't perfect. I've had travel mugs before but they never stuck in my life and I'm pretty sure it was mug design (the alternative theory being that I don't drink enough tea... although now I'm pretty sure that I do). I just really want one that isn't going to spill if I put it in my bag when there is only a few drops left. I really feel that this should be a main feature for travel mugs, yet you always find the ones that have spinning tops to open and close it but it never prevents liquid from coming out-- thus, in my opinion, nullifying the purpose of being able to "close" in the first place (harsh? Yes. ).

So I've been waiting on this for like 10 days and I finally went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and.... well I got one that DOESN'T prevent spilling! I was SEDUCED! I was seduced by it's green color and promise that it was made from recycled material and can be recycled later! When I got back, I tested it to see if it was spill proof... but I knew that it wasn't. Damnit. Plus, I got myself a metal water bottle... which was another act of seduction. I reuse my water bottles anyway, so I KIND OF didn't need to make the purchase, but at least this way I won't get plastic water bottle BPA cancer (/I probably already have it from soda... how increasingly fatalistic is this generation becoming with the ever growing knowledge that every single action we do is giving us cancer? I'd say limitlessly fatalistic, if I had to take a guess).

1 comment:

Claire said...

I have a SIGG water bottle and I really do love it... I never buy water anymore, and I have to wonder why I ever did!