Monday, June 8, 2009

Journey for John and More (Movies)

Well, I have literally done nothing in a while, but that's okay (well...) because tomorrow I'm going to a Decemberist concert with Cayla and Devon and then RIGHT AFTER, Amanda and I are taking the red eye bus to New York (the 1am one), getting in at around 5:20am, and getting in line to try and get into Late Night with Jimmy Fallon because JOHN KRASINSKI is the guest! Hellz yeah! Amanda was really concerned about the plan, and while I understood, I reminded her that this is the least adventurous thing there could ever be. It's not even spontaneous because I called her about it yesterday and we already bought our greyhound tickets. 

The only thing I'm worried about is my money because the concert is $25 and the bus ticket is $19 one way! So, I think I'll be brown-bagging it to NYC. And I don't even have any food anymore. Yesterday I ate some dry Lucky Charms (which are left over from Vanessa-- they happen to be my least favorite cereal), a bowl of frozen green beans, which I microwaved and put butter on, and later some ziti with just butter and parmesan cheese. I'm not saying that's a TERRIBLE day. What I'm saying is that it was the very tail end of my food. 

Also, I saw Up! two days ago with Matt! Obviously it was very nice. Pixar... they just don't disappoint... which makes sense because if you're going to spend like... a JILLION years making a project, you're gonna want it to be flawless... I mean you have the time. Also, Pixar has this ability to make everything sooooo magnificent. Like, the movie takes place in South America and the canyon and the falls are so beautiful and HUGE that it's kind of breath taking, even though it's an animation. Even the balloons and the house were astounding. And the bird. Beautiful. All that said, I think it's a LITTTTLE over-hyped. People said that it was better than Wall-e and I didn't think so. But I CERTAINLY didn't think it was bad at all. 

Also I watched the movie Only You with Marissa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr.... I guess continuing with my shitty movies kick. It was interesting because it was the MOST early 90s movie ever! The soundtrack, particularly, seemed to be based subtly on Beauty and the Beast (really just the last song... you know exACTLY what I mean). And she has really short dark hair, pale skin, but dark lipstick. And lots of scarf action. Amazing. But it's about this girl who, as a child, really believes in soul mates and when she does a ouiji bourd and she gets this name (Damon Bradley) and then she goes to a fortune teller and the lady says the same thing. And then when she's much older and she kind of gets engaged to a guy who's kind of lame (oooobviously) and one of his friends calls to say he'll be in Venice and he can't come to the wedding and his name is... can you guess? Damon Bradley. So she freaks out and follows him to Venice with her sister-in-law (Bonnie Hunt) who wants to get a divorce... and they go all around Italy. 

So half-way through the movie I was like ... this is the WORST movie I've ever seen. I got like... embarrassed FOR the movie, you know when you close your eyes and wince at the dialogue. BUUUUT then it twisted, which I probably should have foreseen but didn't because I had so little faith in the movie. And then it twisted again and again and again! And I gotta say, in the end I enjoyed it the way I might enjoy Runaway Bride (which I thoroughly enjoy!). Robert Downey Jr. is SOOOOO attractive and charismatic! I can't even take it! Seriously, he might actually make someone swoon. Also Billy Zane was in it-- and he was hot... but in that early 90s way. 

Then I watched Dream a Little Dream, that movie with the Corey Haim and Corey Feldman, which I've been wanting to watch since I saw a little piece of it on TV like... 8 years ago. I LOOOOVE the Coreys. The movie was terrible though/ I didn't even totally understand what was going on. 
So far my Corey recommendations would have to be: 
1. Lost Boys. AWESOME Corey movie!
2. Lucus. No Feldman but who cares?

My Corey passes: 
1. License to Drive. I don't totally remember it but I remember not liking it. I believe it was like Superbad... but less fun. But, I could just watch it again to check since I bought that one without watching it first. 
2. Dream a Little Dream

I did see Silver Bullet, which is also a just-Haim one, but I don't remember if it was good or bad. I probably liked it because Corey Haim is sooo CUTE! 

AAAAALSO last night, I watched Teeth, the movie about the girl with teeth in her vagina. Okay, I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not but basically, she figures out she has teeth in her vagina... and then that's it. Then she's just biting off penises. Like... there isn't a plot or even an ending. And there is no good man. Even her doctor is an asshole. I just felt bummed out at the end because I thought ALL of the boys were really cute. I wanted at least one of them to not be using her. That being said, they clearly wanted it to be a cult movie (I mean... what else could it be?) and cult movies often break the rules on purpose. It certainly ended the way a cult film would. After all that, I DID enjoy myself while watching it. 

I also watched Impromptu last night, which I've already seen like... four times. But, I really love it in the way that I love The Secret Garden. It's about Chopin and George Sand, the writer, and it's with Hugh Grant, Judy Davis and also Mandy Patinkin, Emma Thompson, and Bernadette Peters. I just wanted to recommend it. 

Yeah, go ahead and count 'em. Four movies in one day. I'm not ashamed. Nay. I'm proud. 

Yesterday I also joined goodreads.com, which is just a site for rating books you've read.  I think might be cool because I really only want to read books that people recommend. Plus, it'll probably make me want to read more (that's what netflix has done to me and movies). Although it does make me feel like I've only read 65 books in my life, which is probably close to true. 

1 comment:

Claire said...

I saw Teeth a while ago, and was not thaaat impressed. Though I REALLY hyped it up in my mind, partly because of reviews and partly because of the basic plot, which sounded awesome to me... and was enough to make me like it regardless. I'm not sure if I'd really care to watch it again, unless I was drunk and it was like... a vagina-themed party. I don't know what other movies are vagina-themed... but that would be fun.