Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Opportunity Seized. YYYESS!!

MIRACULOUS 24 hours!

Monday night was the usual. I watched Welcome to the Dollhouse which was fucked up and great a la Igby Goes Down or Imaginary Heros (but the protagonist is a 12-year-old girl). I also watched Slackers, which I enjoyed a LOT for the first... 20 minutes... and then my enjoyment of the movie pretty much rested in my enjoyment of looking at Devon Sawa (which produces a quantity of enjoyment that should not be underestimated!), who, by the way, has ZERO interviews on youtube. Then at 6am I started watching Now and Then, but stopped 2/3 of the way through because I was exhausted. I went to bed around 7am. 

Around noon I woke up, baked some chicken!!!, and watched the end of Now and Then, which, is actually all tears. The whole last 3rd is just emotion after emotion. I had to reapply my eyeliner like... a hundred times because I kept forgetting that another moment was coming up. 

Around 2pm-ish, Pat came over. We ate some chicken. Then I went and got a key made for him and deposited some checks. I was worried because the key said "do not duplicate" on the front... but of course it wasn't a problem at all. The kid who made the key actually recognized me from when I sang in his Beatles class. In fact, the NEW key says "do not duplicate" on it. I just think it's a waste of etching to put something on every key that no one follows. And actually, it seems a little presumptuous to assume I don't want to duplicate my new key. It is mine (except actually Pat's). That said, I'm glad I didn't get trouble. 

So I went back home, gave Pat the key, and went to Cayla's to have some dinner with her roommate and Devon before the concert. 

The concert was awesome! It was right on the water and it was overcast-y and smelled like fish and it was in like... a huge tent (kind of) outside. I felt like I was at the shore. And the Decemberists were GREAT!! Their new album, which is the only one I have, is like... a big story so they performed their entire album straight-- plus it's kind of a folksy story and one of the girls was dressed like a princess kind of. Very enthusiastic performers. After they did their newest album, they had an intermission and I decided to go because Amanda was starting to ask me all these questions about the bus and the times and stuff and I got nervous. But I'm REALLY glad I saw the first part!

Unfortunately I had to go all the way back home because, due to some lack of communication, I left my keys outside (hidden) for Amanda, only to learn that she spent the time with Rachael and Rafi so I had to go back and get the keys. Whatever, I also wanted to get the leftover chicken and some nectarines so I wouldn't have to spend my money on food in New York. Although I didn't end up taking the chicken because Amanda told me she would treat me to my meals because I'm poor. But... really I probably should have known that I would never let someone buy my meals for me unless I was about to die ... so I DID end up spending a lot of money on food. But we'll get to that. 

So we get on the bus at 1am, scheduled to arrive at 5:20am. The website for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon said that you should get to NBC (30 Rock) by 9am at the latest. Amanda was extremely concerned about us being exhausted. In fact, it was kind of amazing that she even chose to come at all given the level of her concern. I wasn't that worried. Not only can one do a LOT of things on little sleep, but I could argue that it's even MORE fun sometimes because you get giddy. Although, neither of us really slept more than an hour on the bus and I spent a lot of time reflecting on how I used to not only sleep on buses all the time, but that I had trouble staying awake. But this time, I couldn't get my feet right and my head was in the way. Ridiculous. Although, Amanda wears an eye mask when she's asleep or trying to sleep, and the people around me were at least closing their eyes, so I spent an hour enthusiastically mouthing the words to the entire soundtrack of The Last Five Years, a practice I used to do all the time when I was younger and pretending to sleep while actually waiting for my parents to go to bed so that I could ... do my thang at night. It was quite fun. Although I had to keep my eyes closed the entire time because I was worried that someone would open their eyes and I would make eye contact while looking like a fool. At least if my eyes are closed, I don't have to know if people see me being socially inappropriate.

The bus got there early and we arrived a little before 5am instead of 5:20am. Amanda was pissed and a little cranky (which I totally understand), but I was PUUUUMPED! Plus I couldn't stop singing little tunes about New York. Eventually Amanda came around. 

Anyway, previously (before we left my apartment) we discussed how she wanted to sit in a diner until 7:30am and THEN get in line. I told her that she was free to do that, but that I was getting in line right away because I don't care if I look like a fool, but if I spend $40 on my trip, and I don't get tickets because I was chilling in a diner, I'm gonna be pissed. Yes. I'm bossy. I was worried that I was going to cave when we got there, in the name of happiness for all, but luckily for me, Amanda allowed us to go straight to NBC. I got an some sort of breakfast thing at McDonalds first though. I don't think I've ever had a breakfast thing from McDonalds before. 

It took a while to figure out where the line was going to be. Many of the people at NBC weren't really sure what we should do, which I found really odd. Jimmy Fallon is pretty new... but he's been doing this for like... over a month for sure, AND they used to do it with Conan... so I wasn't sure what the problem was. But at a little before 6am we finally got in line. AAAND couple got in line right behind us. I gave Amanda an "I told you so" look and she agreed that it was good that we came 3 hours early. 

Actually though, no one else got in the line until 8am. The four of us stood there for two hours alone inside barricades that they put up for us. It wasn't that bad though. Amanda and I made some madlibs for a while. We talked to the people behind us and Amanda recommended some places for them to eat later. We also discussed what movies you could watch at a general genital-themed party: 
-Teeth
-Vagina Monologues
-Blue Lagoon
-Superbad
-Hard Candy (although a little too dark)

There were others that I didn't like as much. 

Whatever. By 8am, other people started to come until there were about 30 people in line. Then the guy came out and gave us standby tickets. Amanda and I got number 1 and 2 and I felt pleased because even if we didn't get in, it wasn't for a lack of effort. They told us to come back and see if we got in at 3:45pm. 

We decided to go to the Met, which was obviously amazing. We mostly looked at Egyptian art, which Amanda loves, and 19th and early 20th century European paintings, which I love... Although we both enjoyed the whole thing. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to the MFA! 

But anyway! We stayed for maybe 2 hours but left because we were going to have a sit-down lunch at this Cuban restaurant that we both like. But instead, we ended up just having a hot dog right outside the museum. And then Amanda took me to get some pizza because I told her she was a pizza snob about New York pizza. Although it's a little unfair because I honestly can't tell good pizza from bad pizza. I don't know what people mean when they say they don't like Dominos but they love Papa Johns. Or if they say there is no pizza but New York pizza. My stepdad used to say that the best pizza in the world is at a place called Salernos... and I believe that was in either Scranton, PA or Memphis, TN. I've tried all of these things and all I know is that they are only a LITTLE bit different, and they all taste like pizza. I think people just like what they grew up with... or maybe that's extremely obvious and I'm being needlessly obnoxious about the whole ordeal. 

Anyway, we ended up having a lot of time to kill still because those meals were way shorter than our expected meal. Plus, I entered a HUUUUGE sleepy pocket and thought I was going to die a little bit. So I requested we go to the park and take a little snooze. Amanda didn't want to go on the grass so we sat on a bench next to a jillion people and you'd THINK that I couldn't fall asleep in that circumstance but I totally did. I put my arm on the back of the bench and rested my head on my arm and passed out, while Amanda just sat there staring ahead. I was in that position for like 15 minutes when I did that jolt thing that I (and everyone I assume) sometimes do when I feel like I'm falling. So I do the jolt, and then this lady on the other side of me (my back was toward her) calls to me... or something. She gets my attention but I don't remember exactly. 

So I turn over to her and she has a head scarf over her so she kind of looks like a nun. Definitely like... 60 years old. So she asks me if I need a few dollars for food. I was really confused and thought she was asking me for money... but nay. She was trying to GIVE me money because I think she thought I was homeless!!! I, of course, told her that I was fine and thanked her. AND THEN she told me that you can get a shower at the gym nearby. She told me that in some city a day gym pass is $10 but here it's $25 and she said if I go and tell them she sent me, that I could probably get in for $15!!!

Just so you know, I thought that she was extremely generous and, while I understood where she was coming from, I wasn't that embarrassed. From behind, I really did look like hell, my hair seeming to take on the first stages of dreadlocks because I had stood outside in a misty rain for 3 hours and I slept on that bus and I had no brush and at that point, it was getting warm and I was a little sweaty. AND I was asleep in a park and I don't think she knew Amanda was with me. 

Then, I ended up talking to her about Boston and how she wants to go and see the Church of Scientology (buh... but ok) and how she really likes to travel because then she doesn't have to worry about petty home things and how she really wanted to go to Alaska and about how I'm a television major and how there aren't many women in that field. Then Amanda touched me on the back and I remembered that I probably shouldn't sit and talk to this lady forever. So I told her that we had to go, thanked her for her generosity, and wished her luck on her travels. As we left, Amanda looked at me incredulously because my recent stranger activity has sky-rocketed but I SERIOUSLY am not starting these things! But I feel SUPER proud to be a friendly stranger so... I assume on some level I'm asking for it... although I haven't YET begun a conversation with someone I didn't know... Buuuuuut Amanda didn't actually hear most of our conversation and asked me what the lady was selling. I think she was surprised when I told her she was trying to GIVE me money... AND of course Amanda was amused that the lady thought I was homeless. 

Anyway, after that 15 minute snooze and the adrenaline I got from trying to convince the lady that I was fine, I was wide awake again. Plus it was almost time to go. We sat on a bench for like... 20 minutes and then we went into NBC. They checked us off and told us we should come back AGAIN at 4:15pm and make sure we used the bathroom. We went off in search of the bathroom, which I didn't even REALLY have to use, and it was soooo twisty of a place that I was certain we'd never find our way back. But of course we did. Although, Amanda tried to take a short cut until I gave her a look that I bet told her that I could not be responsible for my actions if we never made it back because we got lost taking the "shortcut." At this point, we still weren't even sure we were going to get in. When we got to the place we were supposed to be, there were about 40ish people waiting. Then they told us 1-30 should follow them... but we STILL weren't all guaranteed seats... although I felt INFINITELY more confident. Then they broke it down to 1-15 and we had to go through metal detectors etc. 

Then they asked 1-6 to come with them and asked us if we wanted to be part of the people who get to surround the musical guest when they do their thing, meaning we would likely be on TV. We agreed instantly and were SUPER pleased about being the first in line. But then, as we got into another line, Amanda and I started panicking because we didn't want to be where the musical guest was the entire time because then we wouldn't be able to see John Krasinski! We were SUPER nervous. I kept telling Amanda that it was in the past and it's useless thinking about it... that we should just see what happens first... but I was really just as distressed as she was. BUT THEN we DID get seats in front of the show, and they told us that they bring us over to the stage after the show when the guest comes on! So whoooo!!!

BASICALLY, it was SUPER fun!!! 
First of all, the regular band, the Roots, was AMAZING! AND crazy fun and enthusiastic!! When they performed for us to get us pumped, they were all smiling and dancing around and then the tuba player, the guitar player and the bass player (who was REALLY cute) ran up the stairs and then bounced back down them. Yes. Bounced. It was hilarious. I loved it. 

Also, there was a guy who was KIIIIND of a warm up comedian. He was really funny and interacted with the audience a lot... but he also served the purpose of telling us what we need to do... like not shout out and stuff. Stuff you could assume. 

Plus it was pretty educational about the late night shows that I watch so much. I assumed it would be. Now I want to see MORE to see what they do differently. For instance, Jimmy Fallon doesn't really interact with the audience off camera, but I'm almost positive that Craig Ferguson does... and I bet Jon Stewart and Colbert do too... I need to see!! Not that Jimmy doesn't say ANYTHING... but... very little.  

But I nearly died when John Krasinski came out... and he stayed on the stage the whole time, which was AWESOME!! And I liked being able to watch Jimmy and John watch the clips.. because I usually wonder when I'm watching the shows what faces they make when they watch the clips... or if they talk. If you want to know, they pretty much watched the clips, but OCCASIONALLY talked. Also, about a BILLION people come out on the stage during every break and Jimmy got more make up every time and John would talk to the people... which ... seemed sooooo awkward. Like... it would suck trying to have a conversation with someone, that you probably don't know at all, while like... 150 audience members gawk at you, wondering what you're saying. Also, the guy from True Blood was on the show and this guy who demonstrated a full body xbox thing. I mean... I obviously just starred at John the whole time. 

Then, when the musical guest came, they filed the people who who were going behind the band down to the stage and we passed right by John Krasinski! AND I had a FULL-BODY TREMBLE FROM IT... because I'm a star-struck little girl. Couldn't help it... I was SHAKING. Plus, I couldn't even look at him really because I was so embarrassed. Amanda told me later that she made eye contact with him. So jealous!!!!!

Anyway, we watched the band, which was very good. They actually played two songs, although only one will be aired. Amanda already watched the show and we're both on TV!! I want to watch it to see how they cut it... but also I'm pretty sure it'll be a little boring since... I already saw it. 

Anyway, right after the show (the taping ended at 6:55pm), I went to Port Authority and ended up getting 7:30pm bus, which was LUCKY because that was the last bus until midnight! I got the ticket at 7:20pm and had to run down to the gate and they were already boarding the last few people. But I made it. And I INSTANTLY passed out.. proving that I CAN sleep on the bus...

And actually, when I woke up like... an hour before we were going to arrive in Boston, I realized that either I smelled terrible or the guy next to me did.... and I tried to smell myself but it was difficult to be subtle about it. But I was feeling really bad if it was me. Although, after parting, I see that it was indeed him. So... I feel better. 

So... I had an AWWWWESOME 24 hours!! And I'm even more pleased that I saw and seized the opportunity. Made it happen! And now I can do that whenever I want (/whenever I can afford it). More incentive to make some moneys!!

But... awesome!

No comments: