Friday, June 26, 2009

Quest for The God Delusion

Yesterday was interesting. 

I feel obligated to say something about Michael Jackson, although I'm not sure what. I was shocked he died. I hope they come out with the music he was working on. I was surprised and interested at how many people remembered how obsessed I was with him from like... 7th-8th grade. I don't want to be archaic and anti-technology sounding, because I really don't think I am, and I certainly don't want to be, but when Matt and Elena and I were watching stuff on the news, the phrase "heart felt tweets" came up a few times... ...I mean... how heart felt can 160 characters of thought be... about a guy you didn't even know? I just think it seems like we've redefined what "heart felt" means. "I'm sad he died- Thriller was awesome"... it just seems rude. But conversely, I don't know what I could have expected... and I'm kind of being a pretentious douche for remarking on it. And surely it's worse that it strikes me as upsetting and rude when referring to Michael Jackson when there are about a jillion ruder tweets and sentiments going out about the protesters in Iran and other worldly and more life-altering events. So...
Regardless, I do think that he would have continued to make some more quality music. I hope his children are left with the profit of high last record sales instead of enormous debt, which I believe is their current situation, although I'm not positive. Although surely no one will love them as much as their father did and that's really unfortunate. 

The other day, when I was watching random youtube things, Anne Coulter came across the screen and she's almost impossible to not watch, which annoyingly is why she's famous. So I was watching her on The View etc and I feel like she's one of the only people that I'd never want to meet for fear of LITERALLY punching her in the face. And I've never hit anyone in my life. And I never want to. But she's FUCKING INSANE! / I can hardly even believe that SHE believes what she's saying and that's even MORE annoying. And maybe it's because I've never really listened to Rush Limbaugh so... maybe I'd hate him too. But at least with people like Bill O'Reilly... he can be annoyingly stubborn (and so too can the left be for sure) but at least he has an argument. At least you could talk to him and in the end agree to disagree. But she's just a fucking irrational bitch and the MOST annoying part is that she's clearly intelligent and educated... so it's completely COMPLETELY unacceptable. She watches what happens, she knows the facts, and she's still insane. What I'm saying is that I think Bill O'Reilly would hate Anne Coulter, although I don't know for sure. 

So, remembering that she did these debates with Bill Maher in New York, I decided to look up Anne Coulter and Bill Maher, expecting to receive a little atonement on the matter. But nay!! To my shock, Bill Maher wouldn't let his audience boo at her, and while he obviously didn't agree with what she was saying, he just CHUCKLED and moved on to different questions. And he called her his friend. 
Now, on the one hand, I know he doesn't want to be hypocritical and I admire that. In his film Religulous he emphasized the point, not that religion is insane necessarily, but that you can't know. He doesn't know and YOU don't know. And that's pretty admirable. So I understand that he pisses people off by being too liberal and therefore he's trying to defend stating your beliefs at the risk of pissing people off by allowing Anne Coulter to speak. I get it and it's admirable. 
That being said, she is an ASSHOLE and doesn't have consideration for ANYONE but her specific demographic (if it's not just an act... and if it IS an act, it's pretty much WORSE because she's being so fucking irresponsible!!!! in order to incense people and sell books!!!).  It's VERY important to acknowledge that YOU might be wrong. True knowledge is knowing that you know NOTHING. But on the other hand, I think it's important to take a stand... because otherwise you're passively watching everything happen and feeling self-important that you are wisely acknowledging that any direction COULD be the right one, however unlikely that is.

*Note: When I say "right," I do believe that there is no "right" and "wrong," which I feel inclined to clarify. But for the purpose of this, since I don't want to be back stepping and clarifying all day long, let's just say there is a better or "right" path to take. 

So after watching the disaster with Bill Maher, I decided to watch someone who I think DOES take a stand on things while still acknowledging that, as a scientist, he knows that you can't be absolutely certain about anything. And that man is Richard Dawkins. After watching him do a half-hour presentation at Ted Talks, which I believe I've watched before, but I've watched many of his things before, I decided that I finally want to read his book called The God Delusion

So after asking the only person I thought might have it (Elena-- she didn't have it. Although she does love Richard Dawkins, which I knew) I decided I may go on a mission to find it. 

Interestingly, the next day I woke up at 10:40am ready to go (after a night of fun with Katherine, returned from New Zealand). So I decided to first go to the bank and see what's going on with my debit card, which is expiring this month but I haven't gotten a new one. And I thought, if I'm going to the bank, I might as well visit Caroline at Temptations if she's working. So I text her to see if she's working and my phone won't let me after several attempts and turning my phone off and on etc. Whatever, I tend to not worry about broken technology until 48 hours after discovering the issue because I usually believe it will solve itself (BTW, itunes problem solved). 

So I go to the bank and learn that they sent me a new card on May 18th, obviously to my PA home, where my mom tells me it never came. So I end up ordering a new card and he asks me where I want it sent. After confirming that the address where the card will be mailed won't affect the address they have marked as my permanent address, I tell them to send it to this apartment. Although I FORGOT that my name isn't on the box, so it was very lucky that I mentioned it was a sublet and HE thought enough to realize my name isn't on the box. So... hopefully it works out. But I had to get money out of the bank because I won't have a card for about a week. 

So then I decide to call Caroline to see if she's working and my phone tells me that it's been temporarily disconnected. Well THAT'S bad. So first I go and get a sandwich at Temptations. Caroline WAS there but it was crowded so she couldn't chat. Then I called my mom from a pay phone to tell her about my phone. She told me she'd take care of it after she was done with a patient. Then I called Elena to tell her I didn't have a phone right now and that I'd call her later and she should answer if she gets another call from an unknown number (we were planning on hanging out later).

So I made my way to the Boston Public Library because I wanted to get a library card... and get The God Delusion. So I get there and it turns out that you can't get a library card unless you have an ID FROM Boston. I told her that I was a resident and that I had a student ID and everything. But she wouldn't let me get one! It definitely makes sense. After all, they have to hold you accountable for the books and it's not like you would give them your credit card number or something. Still, it bummed me out. I left dejected. 

BUT while I was on the T going back home, I realized that this is probably going to a be a problem when I get my license. What address am I going to put on my license if I get it in MA? I considered the library fiasco a blessing in disguise because now I see that I should probably get my license in PA. 

ANYWAY, I made my way back to BU and decided that I should try the Mugar library (the main BU one) for the book.  So I look it up and they DO have it but it isn't due back until AUGUST 10th! I didn't even know you could take books out for that long! So I leave thinking... I guess God DOES exist because he clearly doesn't want me to have this book! Right after I leave, my mom calls me and tells me that my phone is reconnected. I was about to tell her about the license thing, but she had to go to her patient. I was really surprised and pleased that she placed my phone as a priority, because I certainly didn't. But she seemed really concerned that I was in Boston without a phone. Very nice.

Anyway, I decide to walk to Barnes and Noble, KNOWING that I shouldn't buy it there because I shouldn't use all of my funds, but not being able to resist SEEING how much it will cost. On my way to the Barnes and Noble, I come across Sonya. Among other things, she tells me that SHE has the book and that I can borrow it (although I'm almost positive that that will never happen). But she also suggests I try the used book stores around before I go for Barnes and Noble. So I decided that I WOULD go to the only used book store that I've been to. So I go in and realize I have no idea what section it would be in. Richard Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist so I thought it might be in the science section. Checked and no. So I thought... maybe the religion section. Nay. So I think POSSIBLY the literary criticism section... it's a stretch but maybe it's considered a criticism of the Bible. Finally I decided to just ASK the guy... although I felt REALLY weird about it... which is something Richard Dawkins discusses... how atheists feel judged and awkward and avoid the matter completely. In fact, I honestly feel childish even SAYING the word "atheist"... kind of in the same way that I feel like a southern republican when I say the word "America" or how I feel... just silly saying the word "terrorist." Terrorists are scary, I do love America, and I am an atheist. But... the words, to me, have extra connotations than I would prefer they don't have. 

ANYWAY, he did NOT seem to think I was being childish and he knew exactly what book I was talking about. He said he had one a few days ago but that he was pretty sure it was gone (science section, btw). He told me that they get them in all the time but that they're pretty popular and leave just as quickly. Then he chuckled and said too bad I wasn't looking for Gladwell. I'm not incredibly well read and didn't understand his inside joke. But, whatever relation to The God Delusion this "Gladwell" had, I wanted to know. So I asked him to show me. He pointed out The Tipping Point and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. 

I looked at The Tipping Point first because.. that's what he handed to me. It said The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. National bestseller. "A fascinating book that makes you see the world in a different way." - Fortune. Sold. I also bought the book The Art of Watching Films

Then I went BACK to Temptations because it was so close and it was like... 2 hours later, not lunch time, and would be inevitably less busy. I bought a Dr. Pepper and chatted with Caroline for like.. a minute. Although I STILL hadn't found time to eat the sandwich that I bought a few hours ago.

Then, because it was such a nice day, and I had my sandwich and some books,  I thought I should find a nice place to read and eat and be merry. I got a few free glasses of water from the GSU and was GOING to park on the BU beach (not an actual beach... just a grassy place that vaguely sounds like a beach because it's next to a highway... more pleasant than it sounds) but then I saw the river and decided that I would go to the esplanade instead. 

When I sat down, I realized my mom had called me back, which I wasn't expecting her to do. I told her the issue with the license and she made the... I don't want to be rude... but incredibly foolish recommendation to get the license in New York, where I'm learning and getting the permit. How could that make it better? I questioned? I don't have ANY address there. She told me I could use grandpa's address... but that's insane because then I'd be LIVING in MA, I'd be registered to vote and have my credit card stuff and ... my permanent address in PA, but I'd mysteriously have a New York state drivers license? That's pretty dumb. But she was very adamant on me NOT getting it in PA... I don't know why although I secretly suspect it's because she doesn't want to deal with it or she doesn't want me to come home. Both upsetting thoughts.. and probably rude that that's what I'm thinking. Anyway, she said that I'm living in MA so THAT'S where I should get it since THAT'S where I'll be driving. But I told her I am potentially only going to be here for like... 4 more months because my tentative plan is to go to LA. And, I didn't tell her this because it didn't occur to me until later, but I'll pretty much NEVER drive in MA because ... I obviously don't have a car here. So it's almost the MOST absurd to get the license in MA. 

Nevertheless, I think I'm going to call the DMV and explain and see what they recommend. Although I hope that they are pleasant because when people are mean or sound irritated that I am asking questions, I get nervous and my goal instantly switches from wanting information to wanting to get off the phone as soon as possible. Inevitably, I do not gain the information that I called seeking. Maybe I'll see if they have an email address first. 

After my conversation with my mom, I started reading The Tipping Point, which is so full of interesting information that I can't possibly relay it to you. Maybe later. But I ended up reading it from like... 3pm to 6pm or something like that and I briefly considered that I might need some sunscreen, but I decided that the sun was no longer highest in the sky, I didn't want to go all the way home to get some (far) because I'd never come back, and I didn't want to buy any when I already have some at home. Not shockingly, I DID get burned. But not severely and today it's not red anymore. Plus, even though next time I'll bring sunscreen, I'm pleased that I got sun so that I can convert some of my vitamin D. 

Lastly, I hung out with Matt and Elena, mostly watching stuff about Michael Jackson (which I found out through texts while I was on the esplanade). Also, after listening to my tale, Elena told me that at the BU library they can recall books for you OR they can order the book for you from another library. ALSO she said that if you go to the Boston Public Library, you can get a library card if you just show proof of address. I just need to bring in my student ID and a piece of mail. I'm a little upset that the lady didn't tell me that. After all, I kind of expect people who work at a library to be friendly. Maybe thats presumptuous, but... I don't care! Plus Matt made some delicious chicken parmesan, which made me jealous of the skills... and full. And he gave me the leftovers, which I ate instantly upon going home. 

And you know what ELSE I did instantly upon getting home right before 12pm? I fell asleep. MIRACLE!

Today I think I'm going to buy a pot at Good Will because I think I'm going to attempt to make stew again and then ladle it into tupperware instead of just putting the pot in the fridge... which inevitably disgusts me 2 days later. It worked with the rosemary chicken. I JUST finished it today... it's the miracle of tupperware meals. 

Surely that's the worst part about being only responsible for yourself. If you have a family, you make a meal and then at most you have leftovers for the next day only. Usually you don't have full meal leftovers. But if you're alone, you make meals for the week. 

(Just so you know, if you stick this text into a document, 1 inch margins, size 12, times new roman... it's almost a full 5 pages long. Because I'm the most long-winded person I know.)

No comments: