Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lazy and Tolerant

My solitude is becoming so much of a blessing that I'm not sure I'll be able to regularly mingle with people that I less-than-adore in the future. My guilt has miraculously completely vanished without a trace because apparently I only need to get one thing done per... period of time... and that shall be driving. Done. 

So, yesterday I was in my room, doing whatever, and at some point I realized that no one had really contacted me in over a day which is kind of weird. Usually I get a few texts per day. So it crossed my mind that I hadn't heard from anyone, but I lazily just thought the solitude was taking it's toll. As we've all learned time and time again, if you refuse to go anywhere, people stop inviting you places. Still, I didn't give too much thought to it. Although I'm sure if 56 hours went by, I'd be beside myself with grief. 
ANYWAY
Then I start noticing that my phone was kind of lighting up every few minutes, but no activity was happening. Again, it wasn't too conscious of a thought, so I dismissed it as being broken and continued with my movie. 
Eventually Matt called me and asked where I was. He told me he'd been texting me for 2 days but that I hadn't responded. I almost instantly understood that my phone was full and was no longer accepting messages, which was pretty funny. Although Matt told me he was really concerned because if anything HAD happened to me, I don't live with anyone and I don't have a job so no one would really know. He told me he looked at my blog to see if I'd updated and THAT'S how he knew I was alive. Weird. 

Anyway, I fixed the tub situation! I don't know why I thought Draino was $12 because it was actually $6. I was INCREDIBLY skeptical, mostly because I'd just used unclogger fluid before and if that one made no difference, why would another brand work? But it DID!! And I can literally SEE the water drain. It's amazing how much you appreciate things that are fixed. Like when you have a cold and then FINALLY it's gone and you can breathe out of both nostrils again?! That's awesome. 

I'm pretty sure that tolerance and laid-back-ed-ness comes directly from laziness. I'm SURE a less tolerant or laid back person wouldn't have been able to STAND the tub and would have instantly found a way to get it clean. But... I didn't care until I thought I was going to have some people other than me USING the tub, and that's when I got things done. But the same thing happens to me all the time. This is going to make me seem RIDICULOUS but I'll tell anyway. I've had my windows open constantly for a while but I keep the shades down (for the naked time, obvs). Well the weather hasn't been too great and while I enjoy the cold, the wind keeps flapping the shade in a disconcerting manner. Sometimes when I'm asleep I wake up startled because the shade sounds like it's someone sitting across the room. Despite this, I haven't closed the window. For no other reason than it didn't seem worth it. I mean... I didn't consciously think "Should I close the window? Nah. Not worth it." But still, somewhere in my brain, I decided that to get up, cross the room and close the window was too much effort to expel on solving the problems of startled awakenings and shade flapping. And it's the same way with the tub. Somewhere in my mind, it was okay that the tub was disgusting because it wasn't worth the effort of fixing it.  I don't know what this says about me, if it says anything at all. I'm just saying, it's what I've noticed. 

Anyway, I also did my scrapbook today, which was lovely. And I like to watch things I don't have to concentrate on while I do other things so I chose to watch movies I'd already seen. The first was Ghostbusters. Awesome movie. Really. And then I watched Enchanted, which is also amazing. Both are, in my opinion, SUPER solid movies for the whole family. Like... they aren't crap even though they're blockbusters. People really tried on them. But they aren't serious. I do have to specifically point out, although I've said it a million times, that Amy Adams in Enchanted is AMAZING! Her AND James Marsden. They're great because they play it without a HINT of sarcasm. And they obviously thought that movie through completely because the movie tells you, yes, believe in fairytales and happy endings. And be kind to people. And some things and people look bad but they aren't. But also, Amy Adams saves the day, she gets her own job, a princess fashion designer, which makes perfect sense since she makes her clothes in the whole movie, and she learns that you need to get to know people, which is different from some other princess movies. But they do it without ANY sarcasm. I think it's awesome. 

And, actually I DO also have to specifically mention that Ghostbusters, to me, is amazing because it doesn't take itself TOO seriously, but they still thought it out. It's funny, but it's a complete story and all of the elements of the world are explained. They didn't just think it was cool that people catch ghosts. Everyone has a personality, they have a good explanation, they have a beginning, middle, and end. Perfect. 

Also, before I watched Cashback yesterday, I watched Just One of the Guys, which is an 80s movie where a girl dresses like a guy to write an article. I don't even need to tell you it was terrible.... but it's the perfect terrible movie because it has all the elements that really piss me off... because the writer just didn't THINK! This girl decides that people don't take her seriously because she's a girl. She chops of all her hair and dresses like a boy (NO montage or anything. We didn't see her go to a stylist and awkwardly say what haircut she wanted. We didn't see her try on her brothers clothes. Am I to assume this was easy?). Then she goes to another school and acts like a boy. How did she enroll in this school? How is she just MISSING her other school? This girl has a schedule and everything. And I do NOT think I'm being picky. These are HUGE questions. And THEN she goes to the prom with the only friend who knows and her jerk boyfriend comes because he demanded to know where she was from her brother, and she exposes that she's a girl, and her knew friend that she's now in love with is really upset because she lied to him but eventually he sees the light... blah blah blah blah. BUUUUT they didn't even explain the article she wrote. They just say it was ABOUT being like a boy and the teacher goes "you really like that guy, huh?" But like... they didn't even start OUT the article. What could it have possibly been about? What did she DISCOVER while being a boy that would make the article interesting? You know the writer didn't even know. And that's the problem. The writer needs to know EVERYTHING otherwise there is no validity. Otherwise I can't suspend my belief. AAAAAND ALSO the main guy was apparently obsessed with James Brown. Like... when you went into his room, there were ONLY James Brown posters. And she was like "let's listen" and he was like "no because when I listen to James I have to dance and I can't do that in front of other people." And it never came up again!!!! How could that not come up again?! I NEEDED to see him dance like James Brown. Why did they even put that in there??!

The reason I didn't write that yesterday is because I didn't want to ruin the purity of the Cashback promotion. 

Also ELENA IS BACK!

1 comment:

Claire said...

Hahahaha I saw One of the Guys. It was indeed terrible, and I really wonder if I saw her in boy mode, would I know she was a girl? I don't feel like I can be objective enough to say yes or no, since I knew she was a girl... but clearly she did not do the boy thing as well as Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry. Because there was no question there if I'd believe that or not.