Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Romantic Comedies

Are we going to have ANOTHER He's Just Not That Into You fiasco!!!

Mother fucker!!!

First of all, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a huge hit. Bigger than He's Just Not That Into You. And second, I hope that HHEEE learns something at the end too... which... I think he might. And I hope that other less crazy women are portrayed in the film. And I hope she has a SPECIFIC reason for being crazy. I hope it starts with some childhood thing where something happens and then she decides she's going to always be the aggressor in relationships... or whatever her deep flaw is. And I hope he has a SPECIFIC reason why he's so mean about teaching her. And then obviously they'll fall in love yadda yadda. 

The thing about the romantic comedy genre is that it's forgivable for me to know what happens, beginning to end, by just seeing the trailer. I hate it, but I also love it despite myself. It's also the reason romantic comedies are not masterpieces pretty much ever. They are just the same movie with the actors changed.

I'm just pissed off that we're having a surge of incredibly flawed and crazy women being the protagonists. And I know that they want us to feel good because we all already KNOW we're flawed and crazy and these movies are telling us that SOME MAN will find and love us despite that. But it also tells us that men have the answers and are generous beings and whatever. And some men are incredibly generous and patient. I just don't think we should be socializing women to lose all the power we even have. 

And I just have to mention, because it makes me CRAZY, that I bet no one can name ONE movie where the woman was the real pursuer. The closest you get is the woman secretly trying to make the MAN pursue her. And maybe I shouldn't get so upset about it, but women seeking what they want just comes off as incredibly desperate. All of the classic movies that you love: Say Anything. If a WOMAN stood outside of the window, it would be a different movie. It would be Fatal Attraction. But The Notebook. Notting Hill. 10 Things I Hate About You. Even my favorites: Titanic. When Harry Met Sally. Moulin Rouge. The Princess Bride. I mean... you can't name ONE movie where the woman pursues. The only one that I can think of is My Best Friend's Wedding... and she DOES look crazy (but we forgive her because she's so cool and attractive) and she doesn't even GET the guy. It's like the only romantic comedy that turns out that way. 

I mean honestly, IIII don't even want to watch a movie where the woman pursues. I can't think of a way that I could possibly enjoy that movie. And THAT bums me out even more. 

No comments: