Thursday, January 22, 2009

Geriatric Production and More

Okay... the wait for documents currently is 20 minutes. It's about 1:40pm, which is hardly rush hour for paper though. Now, I have to come up with two 7 minute silent story ideas and type them up (about 3/4 page) and print them out before class tomorrow-- although one story took me a week to come up with. The trouble is that I have to be in west for a meeting at 5pm, I'll probs stay there and have a meal or something, and then I have Chords from 7pm to 10pm. And I have to read or skim about 200 pages of my Chinese book.

I'm nervous that I won't come up with an idea in time to print it. If it's another 2 hour wait situation, what do I do? There IS a good chance that it won't come down to that... but it's what I'm thinking about right now. I think worse comes to worst, I'll just explain the situation to whomever is conducting the discussion since it's not really a procrastinating situation if the assignment was yesterday.

In other news, I will NOT be doing a documentary on Chords. There are only 6 people in my class and essentially four ideas were being considered:
1. Chord's going through ICCA rehearsal
2. The life of street performers (one street percussionist already on board)
3. Examination of some women's dependency on cosmetics
4. Profile of a guy who learned tattoo artistry in prison and does work for gangs (but he lives in New York).

Long story short (rare occasion), we have 6 people in the class and the professor didn't want to disappoint anyone. I had to REALLY struggle to keep from throwing my idea out right away because I just wanted everyone to be happy... and giving in is a very strong urge for me sometimes (hmmm...). BUUUT I stayed in the game for quite a while because... honestly it's the easiest project to do. The competition is a built in story. B-roll is unlimited. We rehearse twice a week, and we'll do even more as time goes on. At least 17 willing interviewees. But the other ideas were pretty great. However, I was finally the first to crack and am now doing the tattoo one... which I am excited about. I would be WAY more excited if I could be a part of the interview process. I'm just going to be doing a TON of editing... which I enjoy, but I already know all about that. I would like to interview.
Hilariously, because my professor hates to disappoint people too, he asked me how old I was. When I told him I was a junior, he told me that I still had time to take the full documentary class, whereas everyone else is a grad student. He called the class "geriatric video production." They don't SEEM that much older than me!

No comments: