Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Long Ass Day

Twas an interesting day today. Monday night (Tuesday morning) I went to bed at around 3 or 4am... hard to say, but I legitimately had a little trouble sleeping. Whatever. It was rough because I SHOULD have done my reading for television and childhood for Wednesday, but I didn't. So Tuesday I was a little sleepy after work (ended at 1pm) and I knew if I went back to my apartment, I'd fall asleep and waste the day. Also, I told my boss that I would take the plea for more money down to west that day... and all those offices close by like... 5pm.

So I decided to go to the computer lab and print out the reading I was supposed to do for screenwriting, ALSO for Wednesday. Unfortunately/predictably, the wait for printing was over an hour, and I fiddled around until like ... 1:45pm before I decided to print in the first place. So I pressed print and then decided to have some lunch at Warren and come back later. Did that. Then, as I was leaving, I saw Pat. He invited me over and I obviously can't resist a chat with Pat.

So we hung out for like 40 minutes... and we decided to go to west to get quickie jobs. So we walked down there (and saw Lucy on the way). Then I turned in my plea, couldn't do the quickie job because you have to take an online quiz first that takes 24 hours to process... but I did learn HOW. Then pat went to the gym and I went back to the computer lab. I took the quiz, fiddled to leave again for Chords in west and b) that I didn't have to cancel my dinner with Amanda and Jenn because... I never went home to begin with. So I ate, went to Chords, returned at about 10:20 EXHAUSTED!

I watch an episode of The Office on TBS and then put on The Daily Show. I realize I might fall asleep and set an alarm for 12:30am, just in case. I get through the beginning of The Colbert Report when I pass out. Unfortunately my alarm doesn't wake me and I wake naturally at 1:30am, freaking out because
1. My class is at 10am and I NEED to have read the stuff and have talking points on the chapter AND have articles.
2. The computer lab is unreliable and I HAVE to get there at least 1.5 hours early to make sure I get it printed on time.

I decide to go back to sleep until 2:30am. Then I wake up and rationalize that I can sleep until 3:30am. BUT at 3am I wake up suddenly and have a heart attack about the time! I chug my energy drink that I bought on the way home from Chords. Then I start reading. It took me 3.5 hours to read from pg 33 to 95... but it was CRAZY interesting/SUPER depressing. BUUUUT more importantly, I finished the reading it in it's entirety... and it was VERY thought provoking (it was about ad bombardment to American kids).

So I took a shower, downloaded 2 cds to my computer and uploaded them onto my iPod (... I don't know why...) and got to the computer lab at 7:30am. It took me until 9:15am to type out my points and get the articles printed. Then I went to Warren, had breakfast, and tried to read the Aristotle for my screenwriting class. The thing is... there isn't any excuse for not doing it because... these classes are only once a week! Totally my fault! Anyway, the Aristotle was too weirdly written and I decided I should probably use my ONE hour of break to sparknote it. BUUUUT I also had to read 3 chapters of a book for the class! BAH! I got ANOTHER energy drink (but didn't drink it) on my way out.

So I get to my television and childhood class and it was a great discussion and I'm really glad I read the stuff (I briefly thought I would be pissed that I read it because... ... teachers usually can't tell and/or can't tell enough to accuse you of anything... but I was definitely glad I read it!). Plus we handed in our talking points and mine were a little over 2 pages long, single spaced... which I thought was pretty great.

I get out of class at 1pm and I see Pat as I'm leaving. I WANT to eat lunch with him, but I have to go to the computer lab. Fortunately, sparknotes DOES have the Aristotle, so I take notes on what I think is important. I don't even KIND OF feel bad about this because with ancient writers.... you straight up DO get more out of the sparknotes, in my opinion/experience. Then I go to my Chinese anthro class. I'm a half hour early so I read the book, and fortunately there isn't too much. I read an entire chapter and skim the other 2. No prob.

BUT I go to anthro, and I'm SOOOO EXHAUSTED at this point that I can't keep my eyes open... which SUCKS because I really like his lectures! AND even though I got the stuff on the board and SOME of my notes make a LITTLE sense... I still don't really know what he talked about. Damnit. But he DID let us out on time, which is good because it was CRAZY snowy all morning, but after anthro it started to rain. And we ALREADY had several feet of snow on the ground! So it ALL turned to slush and HUGE puddles. But I have to say... I do really like slush domination... except sitting around with soaking feet in class... that part kind of sucks.

Anyway, survived screenwriting. I knew exactly what I needed from all the books. Plus we watched one of the sweetest short films ever! It's called "The Lunch Date" and I'll try to find it and post it.

You know what's really funny though? And I KNEW it would happen (which is probably why it did), but I'm not tired at ALL anymore. Even though I've been awake since 3am this morning. And I have to say... even though having days like this is exhausting (although I must admit that it's unusual for me to have days like this when I really don't even have a project due or a test or anything)... at the end of the day it's SOOOO satisfying!! Both knowing what my body and mind can and will do AND the fact that I saved SOOOO much time by not doing my work in small clumps. I'm not saying it's the best method for everyone... but it certainly is satisfying for me!

Anyway, I'm going to have dinner now with Amanda and then I'm going to pass out (/probably stay up until like 4am... as per usual).

ALSO, MY MOM GOT A FACEBOOK! HA!

No comments: