Saturday, October 25, 2008

Course Decisions... BLAH! VOM!

So my registration is tomorrow and I THOUGHT I had all of my classes picked out. I was going to be taking screenwriting 1, television and childhood, film production 1, and psychological anthropology. Sounds fun, right??!

BUT I was talking to my friend and she said that if I double major in anthro, I'm going to need to have two classes on a specific part of the world (as well as an archaeology course and another bio-anthro course) so I changed it to an Asian anthro course with Hefner, who I've already had and LOVE. So that's not a problem. BUT then I was talking to my friends about film production and I THOUGHT you didn't use actual film, but it turns out you DO!! And that shit is EXPENSIVE!!! And REALLY time consuming! And I double checked online and it DID say that the students were responsible for all the film and development and shite. PLUS, if I was going to do something that intense, I would like to take video post-production and REALLY learn how to edit!!! But I CAN'T because it's a lottery course!! BLAH!! And so is lighting and video production 2. LAME.

SO, my options are:
1. to take another anthropology and ASSUME that I'm going to want to use my electives to do more anthro (major or otherwise). BUT the one I'm taking now will completely my minor AND my concentration.

2. take an writing/literature course-- my last requirement. The problem is they sounds boring as HELL!! I'm a little sad because I know and love so many english majors... but I REALLY don't want to spend all of my time reading classics. I'm not TRYING to be a douche... but I HATE IT! I can semi-enjoy Shakespeare if I'm already REALLY familiar with the story. I liked The Jungle, Brave New World, and SlaughterHouse Five-- but not more than ANY David Sedaris book I've ever read. I'm sorry, but I thought The Great Gatsby and Catcher and the Rye were boring. I'M SORRY! I'm ashamed, but I just can't pretend about this. I actually thought Candid by Socrates was kind of funny though. BUT if someone makes me read The Odyssey or The Iliad... I think I might die. Well actually, I WILL spark note it. I MIGHT read The Bible with a LOT of motivation. The point is that a class called Shakespeare or ancient epics makes me the most turned-off EVER. Plato and Paul, major authos, Homeric epic, Dante's hell (these are names of classes I can take)? Hell to the NO! But I do have to take one EVENTUALLY. Which is also LAME.

Those might be my only options... LAME. I was sooo excited before. BUT I've learned a valuable lesson called "I DO want to take lottery courses!"

1 comment:

Claire said...

It's okay, I'm an English major and I toootally sparknotes the boring books.... whatevs. Some books are just TOO BORING. I think some classics are highly overrated at this point in history, and I really wish there were more contemporary lit classes. Maybe I'm a bad English major. But my mom agrees, too.