Friday, October 24, 2008

Cultural Literacy and TV majors

A few things: 

Everyone tried out for solos for Chords the other day. I couldn't try out because I already have the maximum... so it was very torturious not being able to sing. BUT I did get to count the votes and I was very satisfied by the results. 

Also, I bought this book called Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know. In fact, I may have bought two copies accidently because I got it on Amazon and then I had to cancel because I didn't fix the shipping address. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Mr. Cobb endorsed the book when I was in 10th grade, and I'm also pretty sure Gail bought it. Either way, I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and so I bought it. 

I got my nails and toenails done yesterday. That was satisfying. 

Also, The Office was on yesterday. Continually I feel like a half hour is VERY SHORT. It's soooo interesting watching a show as it's being broadcast because it's SOOOO different than if you have it on DVD. For instance, when I was into Dawson's Creek on DVD, I would get really frustrated because some (a lot) of the episodes are really shitty! I'd have to push through until I got a good episode. BUT, if I had to wait an ENTIRE WEEK for the next episode, and it ended up being shitty, I would be pissed! And if several were shitty in a row, I would stop watching! For SURE! I guess that's obvious... but when I have the DVDs I don't stop watching because we can do it on my time. 
The Office isn't boring. BUT I could use more Pam and Jim. It's unsatisfying when I've been waiting an entire week and then hardly anything happens. Nevertheless, I'm greatly anticipating next week. I don't know WHAT I would have done if I had to watch season 2 this way. I would have gone NUTS with anticipation!

I got V for Vendetta and Being John Malcovitch from netflix. I'm excited. Also, I started watching 2001: Space Odyssey. I'm going to try to finish it because it's on the top 100, but it's really boring right now. 

I tentatively planned my schedule for next semester. I have to remember that I have to sign up for lottery classes next semester because I want to take video post-production or video production 2. Anyway, I'm going to take film production 1, screenwriting 1, television and childhood, and psychological anthropology. HOPEFULLY. I think that sounds FUUUUN!!! 

I was talking to a girl that I work with, and she was telling me how excited she was about a french revolution history class. Not that the french revolution is the worst out of the histories... because on the contrary, it's one of my favorites... of history. But is that really more fun sounding than SCREENWRITING?? I told Rachael and Amanda last year that I'm always surprised when peoples interests are not the same as my interests. They made fun of me for being like a child, and I GUESS I am, but come on?! I just feel like everyone would choose screenwriting over the french revolution! I wouldn't even have to be ASKED that choice, it would be SOOO obvious! Which is why I CONTINUE to be amazed that not EVERYONE is a television major. 

No comments: