Thursday, April 30, 2009

Correspondence with My Daddy

Correspondence with my daddy (after I sent him to the link to the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" video): 

Not only do I love that song, I loved the way you performed it.  Who arranged it?    Thanks so much for sharing.  Asiana says she thought it was brilliant!    I’m going to check out some of the others.

When are you done with school and what’s you plan?  No pressure… just curious?

We  (asiana and I) spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica last month.  What  a wild trip!  We saw active volcanoes,  ran rivers, went deep sea fishing, hiked through jungles, stayed in hot springs, played with monkeys, surfed (boogy board) across some great beaches,  rode ziplines thru the tree canopies, and saw some amazing things…    …and did it without hardly any possessions.

We got totally robbed the day we arrived and got our passports, drivers license, money, creditcards, bankcards, phones, Ipod Touch, and Camera all stolen.  Talk about an excellent challenge!  Anyway, all is well except I feel I need a vacation to help me relax from this one.

Again, I love your singing!

Big Love,

Daddy


Thank you!! That trip sounds like such an adventure!!! I remember when I was really obsessed with Hawaii and you told me to change my obsession to Costa Rica because it was just like Hawaii but with monkeys. So... I hope you saw some monkeys!

My friend Pretty arranged the song. I LOVE the arrangement!

My plan for the summer... is pretty up in the air. I haven't told my mother exactly what's happening yet, but I'll tell you because I feel like you won't judge my decision... but basically, I have an apartment that I'm getting for $400 a month, sharing with my friend Pat. I saved enough money to afford it so instead of doing an internship, I think I'm going to get a very part-time job... maybe 15 hours a week, and spend the rest of the time eating well and sleeping well and exercising and painting and reading and really utilizing Boston-- seeing free shows and concerts and festivals... doing what I want. I think I'm going to put all of my stuff in storage except a few shirts and pants and my computer... and my dvds probably... go from there.

I know it's a LITTLE irresponsible... but actually, I just want to do what I want during my last summer before I have to enter the real world. I mean, in my life, it's not going to make one difference if I get an internship now or if I just do one during next year. And I don't want to have ONLY done what everyone told me to do all the time. In a way, I think it's very responsible... because I really only have a responsibility to myself... and I only have one life.

Anything is subject to change... and that's the way I want it to be.

Love,

Blythe


I guess it’s much easier to talk about not judging things than actually not being judgmental.  That being said, I’m thrilled you are taking the opportunity to play for the summer.  Life should be enjoyed and when you can find the time and resources to not be responsible I think you should take it.  Too many people are working and saving for the future and not living in the present.  The future never comes and by the time people are done working they have to spend the rest of their energy overcoming poor health that come with getting old.

I hope your plan works out for ya and you have a rockin’ summer.

So, I guess I judged your idea as “great”.

Big Love,

Daddy

2 comments:

Claire said...

I totally ditched the whole internship thing, too (obvs). Whatever. I don't think it's as important as people make it out to be. At least not for what I want to do.

devon said...

um.....



your dad ROCKS?

the end.