Thursday, April 16, 2009

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Bob Dylan (in Projects)

Several years ago, I was at my dad's place and he highly recommended Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to me. This was RIGHT after he recommended The Matrix, which I saw and was obsessed with, so I was thrilled to have another gem to watch. However, I fell asleep almost instantly after I put it in the dvd player.

THEN, last week, my teacher told us we were going to watch Crouching Tiger, which I was excited about because... surely it was a fluke that I couldn't get through it the first time. NAY! I fell asleep AGAIN...and I have never fallen asleep in that class before! We only watched the first 15 minutes. I was pretty shocked and concluded that I must not mesh very well with that movie.

WEEELL yesterday we watched the middle of the movie, maybe an hour or so, and ...

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

I was incredibly enraptured and REALLY impressed because, particularly in fantasy movies, the gender roles are often distinct and kind of unfortunate... but this movie DEFINITELY has some KICK-ASS WOMEN (literally AND figuratively)!! Not to mention that the whole world is visually and psychologically awesome. My professor turned it off at the end of the second act and I was SOOO PISSED! What a terrible way to watch a movie.

Also, today in video production, the professor wanted to see what we've shot so far for the movie... and I was pretty nervous because it's not really fun looking at raw footage for the first time WITH your professor. I was particularly nervous about how the lighting turned out since I believe that to be a personal weakness... and I feel like I'm FAR from alone on that. ANYWAY, the footage was GREAT!! The lighting was actually, in my opinion, ESPECIALLY good considering what we had to work with. PLUS he was REALLY pleased that we didn't use an actual room and thought the basement set gave it a lot of character!

THE OFFICIAL SCREENING WILL BE MAY 7 AT 6PM... if anyone wants to come.

Also, this weekend is probably going to be good because I'm seeing Songs for a New World on Friday, which Matt directed. Very excited. Then on Saturday I might make a rough cut of the movie ... why not? AAAND we're going to dinner with Amanda for her 21st birthday on Saturday. AND we have no school on Monday because it's Marathon Monday ... and 4/20. We'll see how that goes.

In other news, I had to come up with a final screenplay idea for yesterday and I had a REALLY difficult time getting inspiration. I was worried that I would have to use an old idea that I already rejected, which would be embarrassing. HOWEVER, an hour before my class, I got an idea based on Bob Dylan, which I think might be pretty good. However, that means that EVERY final project that I'm working on, now includes aspects of Bob Dylan.

Video production: One of my character's climactic obstacles is him trying to find a Bob Dylan CD for his girlfriend (whilst on acid).

Children and television: My series is about a 13 year old girl who moves to New Orleans and ... kind of discovers folk music as a way to communicate her emotions and a way to be a part of a community.

Screenwriting: The entire project, as of now, is based on an interview with Bob Dylan, kind of about this crazy guy who wants Bob Dylan to be more conscious about how he's living given that he speaks to so many people.

If only I could incorporate Bob Dylan into Chinese Anthropology....

No comments: