Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm Not There

I watched the Bob Dylan movie I'm Not There and I was SOOOOO glad that I have already been reading about him and I watched that documentary. Otherwise I would be pissed off... but as it was, I REALLY liked it! AAAAALSO I'm glad I already am REALLY fascinated by him, because otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to read about the actual movie and watch the DVD extras.... which I think is pretty important. Usually I wouldn't condone needing supplimental material for a movie-- that would be standardly poor filmmaking-- but as my video production professor always says "you need to know the rules so that you can break them."

ANYWAY the movie is the writer's interpritation of Bob Dylan's many lives... so it's like.. the different stages of Bob Dylan as different people. A lot of the dialogue was actual stuff he said... but within this kind of alternate reality. That's pretty much the coolest thing I've ever heard!! And... it takes SERIOUS dedication. And he wrote a one page summary for Bob Dylan to approve and this is part of what he wrote, which I thought was awesome.

"If a film were to exist in which the breadth and flux of a creative life could be experienced, a film that could open up as oppose to consolidating what we think we already know walking in, it could never be within the tidy arc of a master narrative. The structure of such a film would have to be a fractured one, with numerous openings and a multitude of voices, with its prime strategy being one of refraction, not condensation. Imagine a film splintered between seven separate faces — old men, young men, women, children — each standing in for spaces in a single life."

I'm just so impressed!

What I REALLY want to know is what Bob Dylan THOUGHT of the movie... but I can't find anything!! I guess I shouldn't be shocked though.. I mean, I have been reading about him for days and... he's not about that kind of stuff. I'm amazed he even let the movie be made.

Also, Cate Blanchett was INCREDIBLE. I mean... her performance was really flawless!! Just as it was in The Aviator. DAMNIT Blanchett... it makes me want Benjamin Button to win more Oscars than I REALLY want it to win. Italic

Also, I VERY MISTAKENLY returned I'm Not There last night... when now I realize I definitely want to watch it again. I'll have to RE-netflix it. If Obama wasn't in office, I would wonder what the government thought of my movie decisions (like I used to think about the library-- I used to check out The Perfect Pancake constantly in middle and highschool (for real) and I always thought the government would be like "What the hell is in that book?? Bomb recipes?").

No comments: