Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Movies, Wanderlust, Recovery (On Many Levels)

Too much. I'll just make a list and go from there.
1. Saw The Reader, Rory O'Shea Was Here, the new episode of The Office.
2. Long ass documentary days.
3. Jon Stewart and I are still soulmates.
4. Demetri Martin's new show.
5. Cute screenplay.
6. Plant pot adventure.
7. Elena is comin' on down.
8. Whole lotta Chords.

1. So... The Reader. 2/3s of the way into the movie I was like... really? That's all? But then it had a twist at the end and I was like... mmmmm better. And the cool thing is that I went to Kendal Square Cinema by myself. So the theater is pretty far away and I have to take the T and then walk a while. BUT (and I've gone to two movies by myself there), it's really nice walking home because... you can still be a part of the movie kind of. Like... the environment is foreign enough that it can transform with my mood REALLY easily. So on my walk home, I really started to appreciate the movie even more. Just about how it addressed people being trapped by themselves in a variety of ways. Also, Winslet WAS amazing. Also, it started with so much sex that I was like "hell yeah!" I don't mean to be weird ... but I like to have a lot of sex in my films. Although I didn't TOTALLY understand why she took the morally corrupt job...
Basically, I don't think it deserves best picture over Slumdog, but definitely worth seeing.

Rory O'Shea Was Here. Nice but it wasn't an absolute gem. BUT James McAvoy was HOT. I'm attracted to him as a parapalegic. I'm attracted to him as a half-goat. He doesn't make a film for me as far as acting goes... but he's SO attractive!!!

New Office. BEEEEETTTER. Also it was on Monday and I was PISSED because I didn't know. And it was a one hour special! But I am a little upset with the show because I keep telling people how much I love it... and I feel like I'm losing any authority I might have had on good TV shows by still supporting it. They need to step it up.

2. I've been spending a LOT of time lugging around a camera and tripod. It's really snowy and it makes me really cold. AND it's heavy. BUUUUUT I don't care because I secretly love the aesthetic of carrying around a camera. I feel like such a cool film student....

3. Yesterday, Jon Stewart had Dev Patel on the Daily Show... which is special because he doesn't really have actors on his show...but he REALLY loved Slumdog Millionaire. AND he thought Benjamin Button was a little snoozy. I just LOVE Jon Stewart so much!!!

4. I'm really excited for next Wednesday because Demetri Martin starts his new show, Important Things. I love him, and I have high hopes. 10:30pm. Comedy Central.

5. My screenwriting workshop guy is REALLY cute. Like... SUPER cute! The first workshop we had.. I was a little thrown off by his cuteness... and I really felt like I made a TINY fool of myself... just by saying silly answers to his questions... and POSSIBLY grinning while he stared at me (... I don't know that I did that... I just fear that I might have). But, the last one we did, I felt like I made up for the first meeting with him. BUT we were supposed to come up with a little 3-page script and we never got the chance to go over them. I thought mine was cute and I was disappointed. BUT he collected them. Now I'm really excited to see what he thought of it. It was about rolly pollies. Like... you can't get more adorable in my opinion (although it does end a little tragically)!

6. The other day I read Claire's blog about her wanderlust. I was reflecting on it and I felt really bad that I don't do more things when I live in a city. It was such a beautiful day on Monday that I took a trip to Chinatown with a half-intent of getting a new pot for my jade plant. I couldn't feel cuter (sorry to keep calling myself cute... but it's my blog and my intentional cute feeling is what I want to talk about). BUT it felt really nice to walk around. While I didn't find a pot that I thought my jade would thrive in (and also, they were so pretty that I thought the pot would distract from the plant... which would be rude), I did get some rice noodles, chicken, broccoli, and a can of coke for $2.75. I mean... really.

7. ELENA IS COMING TO LIVE IN SOUTH TOO!! I'm not putting this in for her benefit... but there is no way to make it not look that way. But I'm REALLY excited!

8. Our (Chords') ICCA competition is this Saturday. I'm excited... but also kind of glad that it'll be over... we've been having a JILLION practices. Yesterday I left my place at 9:15am and got back MINUTES before 11pm. Then I watched my Stewart and Colbert. Then I decided to sleep from midnight to 1:30am but accidently slept until 4am (I wanted to do some work (I honestly didn't have that much though)). So I decided I might as well sleep until 5:30am. Then I woke up, started reading, was about to pass out and slept for 10 minute intervals from 6am to 7am. Then I woke up again and finished my work. I left around 9am (to print). I didn't get home until minutes before 10pm. AND, unlike Tuesday, I was PACKED busy. I had class from 10am-1pm. Then lunch. Then 2pm to 3pm. Then 3pm to 6pm. Then dinner. Then Chords from 7pm to 10pm (although we left like a half hour early). Long.

Lastly, Recovery.gov. Keep tabs.

No comments: